Brownie Box Pics... finally!

discbrks

Reaction score
Here's the pics of my dad's F-350 with the brownie box. I'm not real sure how to add pics, but I hope this works. Take a look at them all and if you have any questions let me know. Any more detailed pics needed?

Attachments

• brownie 001.JPG
    brownie 001.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 31
  • brownie 002.JPG
    brownie 002.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 69
  • brownie 003.JPG
    brownie 003.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 58
  • brownie 004.JPG
    brownie 004.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 35
  • brownie 005.JPG
    brownie 005.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 50
  • brownie 006.JPG
    brownie 006.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 24
  • brownie 007.JPG
    brownie 007.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 19
  • brownie 008.JPG
    brownie 008.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 23
  • brownie 009.JPG
    brownie 009.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 42
  • brownie 010.JPG
    brownie 010.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 21

discbrks

Reaction score
... and a few more.

Attachments

• brownie 011.JPG
    brownie 011.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 15
  • brownie 012.JPG
    brownie 012.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 21
  • brownie 013.JPG
    brownie 013.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 9
  • brownie 014.JPG
    brownie 014.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 9
  • brownie 015.JPG
    brownie 015.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 8
  • brownie 016.JPG
    brownie 016.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 11

discbrks

Reaction score
Even though this truck is a gasser, this should work on any manual transmission truck. The brownie is, in essence, a gear splitter. The brownie is a 3 speed trans. that has an underdrive (first gear), direct (second gear) and overdrive (third gear). On a 5-speed it will give you 15 forward gears and 3 reverse gears.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Did that come from Ford or was it an aftermarket add-on? That would be cool to have 15 forward gears.
John

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Ooooohhh;Sweet :hail :hail :hail
Is that box a 7231 ? It's definitely not a 5831 with that side shift. I think only the 7000 came with those.
What size U joints do you have on that thing ?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
... Also about ( rough guess ) how long is the front drive shaft on that setup?

discbrks

Reaction score
Did that come from Ford or was it an aftermarket add-on? That would be cool to have 15 forward gears.

It's not anything Ford ever produced. My dad built this truck years ago. Now it just sits in the weeds awaiting a makeover. The 12 forward gears are nice to have, but being able to shift in reverse is what makes all your friend's say WOW!

What size U joints do you have on that thing ? ... Also about ( rough guess ) how long is the front drive shaft on that setup?

U-joints? I couldn't tell ya. He said that he had the driveshafts made at a local shop when he built the truck. I think the front shaft is about 16" long. That truck came with a carrier bearing. The bearing was mounted to the frame x-member at the back of the cab. He removed the bearing, and mounted the brownie onto that x-member. The wheelbase of the truck is the same as a std. cab long bed. RLDSL, since yours is a CC long bed, you could theoretically mount the box to any x-member that's under the cab and still have a good driveshaft angle to the rear. Probably the easiest way (this is just a guess) to do it would be to use a reg. cab driveshaft, bolt it to your rearend, and wherever the front of the driveshaft ends up mount your brownie there. If I need to crawl under with a tape measure, just let me know. When I took these pics, I was in my work clothes (white button-up shirt) and couldn't really get all the way under the truck. I'll also find out what # the brownie is.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kewl shots....thanks for the pics....

So what are ya doing....rebuilding the truck now or parting it out?

discbrks

Reaction score
So what are ya doing....rebuilding the truck now or parting it out?

Well... right now it just sits there. "Yard art" as we call it in the south. No plans with it right now, but who knows. If it had an IDI in it, it would be in MY yard instead of my dad's.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's not anything Ford ever produced. My dad built this truck years ago. Now it just sits in the weeds awaiting a makeover. The 12 forward gears are nice to have, but being able to shift in reverse is what makes all your friend's say WOW!

U-joints? I couldn't tell ya. He said that he had the driveshafts made at a local shop when he built the truck. I think the front shaft is about 16" long. That truck came with a carrier bearing. The bearing was mounted to the frame x-member at the back of the cab. He removed the bearing, and mounted the brownie onto that x-member. The wheelbase of the truck is the same as a std. cab long bed. RLDSL, since yours is a CC long bed, you could theoretically mount the box to any x-member that's under the cab and still have a good driveshaft angle to the rear. Probably the easiest way (this is just a guess) to do it would be to use a reg. cab driveshaft, bolt it to your rearend, and wherever the front of the driveshaft ends up mount your brownie there. If I need to crawl under with a tape measure, just let me know. When I took these pics, I was in my work clothes (white button-up shirt) and couldn't really get all the way under the truck. I'll also find out what # the brownie is.

On mine, I have a Western Hauler bed, so I have a ton of room to put the thing anywhere I want. Only problem I'll have is running the shift rods since my box has them on top, so I may have to do a little gentle persuesion on some sheet metal with an air chisel :D either that or notch some crossmembers and weld up some other reinforcements. I noticed on that setup, there's a pretty fancy job of bending those shift rods. Do they still want to push in and out without any binding?

discbrks

Reaction score
The shift pattern on it os shaped like " i-l " if that makes any sense. Low is toward the driver & down, second is away and down, high is away and up. Driving with the brownie in second, if you want to shift to high just hit the clutch & push the shifter straight up. That shift is no problem - can be done with one hand. If you want to go to low, however, you can knock it in neutral with one hand, but pulling it over & down into low is cumbersome. I never thought about it until now, but its probably due to the linkage being bent the way it is. The brownie definately has a "chunkier" feel to it when shifting. I think with a little more well-thought engineering you could get it to shift better. The rods don't bind with each other, but it is kinda tough to get it in low.

On another note, tell me about your 1" hockey puck lift. I want to raise the front of my 2wd just a grunt. Got any pics?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a four-speed and I am lacking the shifter.

It is a Dana/Spicer; I have the number wrote down somewhere safe, where I can't ever find it.

I have considered the possibility of using one of those old H-pattern three-speed floor-shifter conversions, the kind that moved the shift from the column to the floor.

I could rig up something real easy that used two sticks, but I would have to be sure to shift one into neutral, before putting the other into a gear; in other words, one or the other shifter would always have to be in the neutral position.

I don't guess anyone has an extra 4-sp shifter around the scrap-pile ??

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The shift pattern on it os shaped like " i-l " if that makes any sense. Low is toward the driver & down, second is away and down, high is away and up. Driving with the brownie in second, if you want to shift to high just hit the clutch & push the shifter straight up. That shift is no problem - can be done with one hand. If you want to go to low, however, you can knock it in neutral with one hand, but pulling it over & down into low is cumbersome. I never thought about it until now, but its probably due to the linkage being bent the way it is. The brownie definately has a "chunkier" feel to it when shifting. I think with a little more well-thought engineering you could get it to shift better. The rods don't bind with each other, but it is kinda tough to get it in low.

On another note, tell me about your 1" hockey puck lift. I want to raise the front of my 2wd just a grunt. Got any pics?

It's got the same shift pattern as mine. I was lucky and got the factory shifter with mine. The lower boot is long gone from it but luckily someone kept it greased so it's nice and tight.

I don't have any pictures of that hockey puck lift, but it's not rocket science. Just grab a bunch of standard hockey pucks and drill a hole in the middle big enough for the body mount bolt and sleeve to fit through and stack that sucker on top of the body bushing. I had to get a piece of all thread and make longer bolt for the mounts at the radiator core support and the rear of the cab, and I used the ones from the rear of the cab up at the front of the cab. I did have to cut a little chunk out of the bottom of the fan shroud for clearance.

discbrks

Reaction score
I could rig up something real easy that used two sticks, but I would have to be sure to shift one into neutral, before putting the other into a gear; in other words, one or the other shifter would always have to be in the neutral position.

Why would you have to do that? Is your truck a stick now?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Mine is a four-speed and I am lacking the shifter.

It is a Dana/Spicer; I have the number wrote down somewhere safe, where I can't ever find it.

I have considered the possibility of using one of those old H-pattern three-speed floor-shifter conversions, the kind that moved the shift from the column to the floor.

I thought about that early on, but you'd have to be sure that you had a way to disable the reverse lockout function on the three speed shifter, otherwise you'd be better off with a 4 speed hurst type shifter and running 2 rods off of that and just leaving the reverse part alone. You'd have to get your hands on a shifter to see if it's doable to disable the reverse blockout. There's not a decent picture anywhere on the net of the underside of one of those things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.