Bring it back from the dead...........

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good things come to those who wait.....or so they say....
Picked up a '93 6.5TD 4x4 at the auction the other day so I can revive the '85 service truck. Its the first time I had a worker promise to be nice to the truck if I put a engine back in cookoo ......he doesn't like driving the stick on the Ford...
So....since I am performing major surgery on this truck again, has any of the 6.5TD gang intercooled one of these motors? I looked at the kit Kennedy Diesel is offering and am quite suprised the smallness of the IC.....
anybody have any experience with doing this?

rubberfish

Reaction score
You mean kind of like this?
I bought this one of Ebay, but you're right,
they're not very big. I'll let you know how
well it does or doesn't do it's job.

Attachments

• Img_0061-1.jpg
    Img_0061-1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Img_0063-1.jpg
    Img_0063-1.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the "big" one of the two. :eek: I'm curious to see how long it keeps the charge temps down. Keep me posted on your progress ;Sweet

rubberfish

Reaction score
You bet man, no problem.
I won't be running 12-15 lbs of boost though, like the 6.5 can.
When and if you do buy one, let me know and I'll steer you
towards the company I bought this one from.
What ever you chose though, try to get one that is
3" in and out. A lot of them I saw were 2 1/2 or 2 3/4".

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looked at their site again.
theirs are a little different than yours. here's the pics. My largest concern is how much heat transfer can it do before it heats up to the point where its worthless? With an IC that small, the overheat point has got to hit sooner.

Attachments

• Intrcoolcomp2.jpg
    Intrcoolcomp2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Intrcoolcomp.jpg
    Intrcoolcomp.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 4

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yours looks like what I have on my ford. Mime is a ATS kit...yes I was lazy :D

Attachments

• _FORD0007.z19782.jpg
    _FORD0007.z19782.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 16

rubberfish

Reaction score
towcat said:
My largest concern is how much heat transfer can it do before it heats up to the point where its worthless? With an IC that small, the overheat point has got to hit sooner.
I'm curious about that too. The last truck wasn't intercooled,
(didn't see the point after the fire :D ) so I'll be able to tell
the difference right away I think. I'm going to turn the boost
down a bit this time though. Last time it was way to high,
and well past it's efficient point. About a week before it
went up in flames, I had turned it down 10lbs, from 52 - 42,
and that's where I'll run this one too, for a while I guess,
at least until the twins arrive :eek: ;) .

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion that in the long run intercooling is the least of my 6.5 worries... The weak block and crank are what I would be looking to take care of. Are you using the '85 body and frame? If so a the one Kennedy sells probably won't work, if not then I have heard a lot of good things about the "big" kit. I made my own out of one off of a tractor, it cools efficiently with no heat soak issues at 25lbs of boost...

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I borrowed some parts from a Dodge... Specifically a turbo. Lots of fuel and a heavy foot also contribute.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chassis is an '85. I have done the original conversion about five years ago. Pretty much a direct bolt-in, except for the exhaust outlet from the turbo. the opening was approx 6inches directly above the passenger side frame rail. there was not much room for the elbow for the downpipe. this truck was not built for the purposes of racing. The priority was to survive a fleet driver. It did fine with daily commuting over the Santa Cruz hil on CA17. occasionally it pulled a 10k GVW trailer too. If it wasn't for the driver literally begging to get the truck back and a sworn promise to treat the truck better, this project would not have happened. It used to be dirt cheap to repower a chevy diesel, but with the conflict in Iraq, my source of cheap 6.5 longblocks via GSA auctions have vanished. Now its cheaper to repower a IDI and dial back the pump timing so I can run whatever garbage I can fill the tanks with.
Question for you guys....I have a banks gen2 turbo for a ford IDI. when I posted the turbo for sale, I didn't get any sincere nibbles from the IDI gang, but there was some sincere interest from the chevy camp. What's so special with a TE06H turbo? Is it an obvious improvement over the stocker? Is it really worth the trouble for a fleet truck? kewl part of this deal is the driver is putting his pay against breakage for 2 years. ;Sweet

Last edited:

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
rubberfish said:
Cool :thumbsup:
Any pics you can share?

I've got this one, nothing special though...

You must be registered for see images attach

This is how the first Holset ended up though.

You must be registered for see images attach

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
towcat said:
The chassis is an '85. I have done the original conversion about five years ago. Pretty much a direct bolt-in, except for the exhaust outlet from the turbo. the opening was approx 6inches directly above the passenger side frame rail. there was not much room for the elbow for the downpipe. this truck was not built for the purposes of racing. The priority was to survive a fleet driver. It did fine with daily commuting over the Santa Cruz hil on CA17. occasionally it pulled a 10k GVW trailer too. If it wasn't for the driver literally begging to get the truck back and a sworn promise to treat the truck better, this project would not have happened. It used to be dirt cheap to repower a chevy diesel, but with the conflict in Iraq, my source of cheap 6.5 longblocks via GSA auctions have vanished. Now its cheaper to repower a IDI and dial back the pump timing so I can run whatever garbage I can fill the tanks with.
Question for you guys....I have a banks gen2 turbo for a ford IDI. when I posted the turbo for sale, I didn't get any sincere nibbles from the IDI gang, but there was some sincere interest from the chevy camp. What's so special with a TE06H turbo? Is it an obvious improvement over the stocker? Is it really worth the trouble for a fleet truck? kewl part of this deal is the driver is putting his pay against breakage for 2 years. ;Sweet

The TE06 is apparently much more efficient than the factory GM turbo and much better than the Banks turbo for the 6.2. That's what I hear atleast. I hear ya on 6.5's not being cheap anymore, I had a very hard time finding a block to rebuild mine this last time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online