Brakes help me!!!

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1994 idi. It's the wife's around town rig, recently the brakes have become so sensitive if you hit em at all through the window you'll go. Seems the rears are the culprit, they will lock up quick style!!! Wheel cylinders or ???

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say the adjusters turned themselves out too far if the back brakes are locking up.

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already tried that. Was a little better for about 15 mins. Then same again. I'm thinking maybe wheel cylinders are sticking.

gandalf

Reaction score
A little background please. Have you had any work done on those brakes recently? When was the last time you had work done on them? Have you pulled the drum off to check the well-being of everything inside? Are both sides acting equally, the same?

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck set 18 years almost. Les schwab put tires on said all looked great. They worked fine last 6 months. I put a master on iTunes August cause the bottle was weathered. Had the drums off last week to look. Pads good, no leaks. Been forever since I dealt with drums. The back seem to be the only issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best idea is pull the drums and have a look see. Why did this rig sit and did you just purchase the rig only to end up with this issue... Might be why it sat so long too. Some shade tree mechanics install the right side adjusters on the left side. then both sides will not work right.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have the drums turned or replace them and the shoes. If there's no leaks and everything is clean in there, I would bet it's either a shoe or drum problem. Before you do that, you should probably try to bleed everything just to make sure it's not something goofy like rust floating in the fluid at the wheel cylinder.

Places to start.

TattooTodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry didn't have net a few weeks!!!

Was father in laws truck, he parked it cause it ran horrible ( ended up being a fuel line). Had to also put a pump on since it set forever and a day.

Brakes master was rotted so put a new one on the day we brought it home non running. Brakes been fine the whole time till a lil bit ago, didn't really worry to much as it wasn't winter. But now we have snow and ice and the rear just lock up.

So new master
Just did wheel cylinders- no change
Pulled ABS apart cleaned seemed ok
Bleed till I'm blue in the face
I'm lost at ideas. Drums pads all look good to me. I've adjusted brakes etc...
So for now truck won't leave the neighborhood bus stop and back only.

Please help I'm usually pretty good seems to me maybe the abs junction might be the issue.
But not sure how it really works. No lights on dash etc...

Thanx again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might find and clean the proportioning valve under the master cylinder. That valve allows different pressures for the fronts and the back brakes when applying the brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online