Brake controller lights stay on

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Teconsha trailer brake lights stay "on" sometimes for days.

I notice whenever I back my 4800 into a snowbank or the thing gets a wee bit of moisture inside the socket, I have this problem.

Obviously moisture related, but there's no snow or water packed in the socket. Anyone have this problem?

Doesn't seem to affect the batteries, but I don't like it.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
My Teconsha trailer brake lights stay "on" sometimes for days.

I notice whenever I back my 4800 into a snowbank or the thing gets a wee bit of moisture inside the socket, I have this problem.

Obviously moisture related, but there's no snow or water packed in the socket. Anyone have this problem?

Doesn't seem to affect the batteries, but I don't like it.

YEP! I have the new 9030 model tekonsha brake controller and mine does the same thing! It only does it sometimes but just like you it also ****** me off too! I also checked the socket and could find no susbstancial moisture. I thought about calling tekonsha to see if this was a common problem, but havent gotten around to it yet.
It is good to know that i'm not the only one having this problem, because at first i thought it was my wiring or something. The brake controller does work right when hooked to a trailer, but just as you said the light should not come on when there is no trailer attached.

BROKER

SOUTHBOUND & DOWN
Reaction score
We have a tester that you stick in the socket to test all the circuits. Most trailer / hitch vendors have one. swing by one that you are friendly with and see If they have one.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spray the socket with CRC.. It keeps the moisture out and improves the electrical connections... Seems to help...

BROKER

SOUTHBOUND & DOWN
Reaction score
Went down in the shop to see what it was,it is a Goodall 13-042. Also a charger/booster.If you were closer I'd let you use it. Mike my mechanic said they make smaller ones that are hand held and are available from NAPA.

CRC, dielectric? We use Napa dielectric grease in the tub form.

Good Luck Duke.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CRC looks more like wd40.. its a spray can... Does not leave much of a film.. I like dielectric grease, but it seemed to collect dirt and salt in my plugs, so I switched.

MLee

Reaction score
If it is a prodigy, it will light up when you use the brake. And when you unplug it, you have the two dots. it should go out after 15 minutes. I remove mine so it doesn't take a hike if someone decided to enter when locked and has sticky fingers.
Marv.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I usually coat all connectors with Western di-electric grease, maybe it needs a good cleaning. I'll pick up some of the CRC stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radeon1314

Members online