brake booster

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after changing 2 brake boosters this weekend and still having problems, I went to autozone and they said they would refund my money, this makes number 6.
Autozone sells A1 cardone bossters, Napa-A1 cardone and Carquest, the same.
I called ford and they said discontinued, found one in Arkansas for 260 bucks.

Where are you guys getting your boosters from? Why the hell if everyone sells the same rebuilt brand, am I having such crap luck with them?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it going hydro-boost isn't an option?

I suspect that my vacuum booster's shot, and I have most of the parts to install a hydro-boost, but I have a few other things I want to do first... :sly

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take it going hydro-boost isn't an option?

I suspect that my vacuum booster's shot, and I have most of the parts to install a hydro-boost, but I have a few other things I want to do first... :sly

I dont really want to go hydroboost, what I have works great when it works. I was excited that Autozone was going to give me a refund, until I found out that everyone else is selling the same Cardone crap.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll check Calvins out. I never knew hydroboost was the cats meow, until I joined this site. Last I remember of hydroboost was on the original Oldsmobile diesels and the hydro setup they had were very troublesome. I guess they've improved over the years or no one here would be using them.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a united reman from napa it works great. Also I would definately check the vacume pump after that many boosters I mean even a broke @$$ clock is right twice a day. When I changed my booster and master cylnder, master leaked into the booster and took it out, The booster worked some time and some times it didn't hooked up the vacume gauge I wound my pump was cutting in and out replaced it and my brakes work great.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed my vacuum pump and master cylinder in the midst of bad boosters.

The problem with these boosters is not acting like a lack of vacuum, the problem is, they **** air when you step on the pedal, a lot of air. The last good one I had lasted almost a year and then last week while I was driving the booster started making a whining noise until I tapped the pedal and it would stop, it also started ******* air when I hit the pedal.
The booster I installed saturday didnt make any noise but it acted like it had no vacuum at all. The booster I installed sunday is much easier to push but blows air when you step on the pedal.
Of all these boosters, I've only had two that worked perfect out of the box but didnt last a year, the rest have all either been noisy or hard to push.

my seven year old loves the air brake noise, me it drives me nuts!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a united reman from napa it works great. Also I would definately check the vacume pump after that many boosters I mean even a broke @$$ clock is right twice a day. When I changed my booster and master cylnder, master leaked into the booster and took it out, The booster worked some time and some times it didn't hooked up the vacume gauge I wound my pump was cutting in and out replaced it and my brakes work great.

How long have you had yours? Napa tells me they handle A1 Cardone.:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
JUst ditch that crap and do the hydroboost, you will love it. The first time your truck actually STOPS for you without having to shove your leg through the floor, you will be fully sold ;Sweet;Sweet

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Robert. Sounds like hydroboost is the way to go, I'll have to do some research on it. My next money spending venture on this truck is going to be swapping in a manual trans, hydroboost will have to wait till after.
The booster I have at the moment works, just noisy.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you drive a towtruck, your towed vehicles are along for the ride and refuse to help slow you down. with hydroboost, I can care less if they want to help or not. The Warden towed a 7k trailer that was actually loaded past 10k/lbs and it fought with his truck. I towed the same trailer one evening in rush hour traffic and the truck acted like there was nothing being dragged along behind it. Even when stopping;Sweet
Go hydro and don't look back;Sweet;Sweet:D;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cardone is the only mass rebuilder in the US.. Call brake systems in portland or booster Dewey. if you want to stay vac.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I've gone through just as many A1 cardone boosters as you have. They are crap, and they are the only reman ones available anymore. I even bought a "brand new" one and it was actually a cardone reman unit they were selling as new. I'd like phone numbers to these places Russ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online