Bouncing tachometer

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what issues cause this? I'm thinking it's just the wiring but it's hard to tell. From listening to the engine you cannot hear an idle difference.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to look that one up-the speed sensor. I'll try that and update, thanks.

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Why would the VSS effect the tach? The VSS is for the speedometer.

I would remove and clean the tach sensor mounted in the IP Gear cover near the oil fill. It is the large ~1" nut with the 2 wires coming out of it. If cleaning it doesn't work, you may have to replace it. Do you know someone else with an IDI that you could possibly borrow a known good sensor to verify, since a replacement is ~$60+......

Now, if the speedometer was bouncing, or the E4OD (if equipped) were in limp mode, I would check the VSS..... but not for just the Tach bouncing.......

Or if you have, or know someone with a laser tach you could also verify if the engine RPM is really staying steady, if it sounds like it is, it more than likely is, but is another option for verification......

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would the VSS effect the tach? The VSS is for the speedometer.

I would remove and clean the tach sensor mounted in the IP Gear cover near the oil fill. It is the large ~1" nut with the 2 wires coming out of it. If cleaning it doesn't work, you may have to replace it. Do you know someone else with an IDI that you could possibly borrow a known good sensor to verify, since a replacement is ~$60+......

Now, if the speedometer was bouncing, or the E4OD (if equipped) were in limp mode, I would check the VSS..... but not for just the Tach bouncing.......

Or if you have, or know someone with a laser tach you could also verify if the engine RPM is really staying steady, if it sounds like it is, it more than likely is, but is another option for verification......
But I already put a new cam sensor in like 2 months ago

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem, turned out to be near fractured wire near pigtail on sensor.

carrasco4712

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem, turned out to be near fractured wire near pigtail on sensor.
Oooo, yes
My wires are in bad shape. I'm slowly replacing all of them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online