Bought the 86 f350, swap begins

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys just wanted to tell you that i bought the 86 f350 and this thing is cherry, man its nice i almost hate to not put a factory motor back in but hey why the heck not.

Any ways i was crawling around underneath it and it appeared to have a np transfer case? I thought all the one tons were bw's? Its gvwr is 9000lbs so im confused why ford would put in that junker.

So ill be going with a first or second gen 12v cummins, and i need some ideas for the drivetrain as my truck is the c6auto 460 gasser. I am sticking with the auto tranny period end of story but want to get the cummins in there, my first thought is a good 727 with a np205 on the back, but i would like to be able to just bolt up to my gasser c6, and i know it can be done because after extensive searching on the forums on the net i found a handful who have done it but cant get in contact with them to ask them how. Does the e40d have the same pattern etc as a c6?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the E40DOA has the same bellhousing and bolt pattern as the C6 diesel, but I bet the 12V Cummins would really rip it to shreds. I think you could probably find an adapter to make that C6 fit a 12V. Probably would handle the HP and torque too. I think Advance Adapters makes something like that.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so is it agreed that if i use one of the destroked e40d adapters i can bolt my c6 up?

As far as the engine goes, im not going to build the **** out of it, well maybe a little. Im looking for endless miles of use and the most mpgs possible. What do you all think?

Im most likely going to put in a set of 40hp injectors and call it good, that will put the power in the ridiculous power to weight range!!! LOL

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so am i thinking either a commonrail or a 6.0l powerstroke or a 24v or a 90 1st gen cummins? i can get the commonrail and the 6.0l with the engine tranny transfer along with the 1st gen, but the 24v is just everyhting needed to make it run and bellhousings and extra stuff.

The 24v has 18000 miles, the common rail the same drivetrain same amount, the 6.0 has 900 miles and the rest of the drivetrain has 40k miles, the 1st gen has 285k miles on everything yikes but it runs real nice and no smoke.

What you all think?

What side drop do the 2003 dodges have on their transfer if its an 03 dodge its a common rail correct?

Last edited:

SKimballC

Reaction score
You have a hell of a wiring nightmare ahead of you with the newer motors, not to mention the associated electrical issues with the auto transmission. Plus lots of fabrication. Thus I wouldn't consider a 6.0 PSD. A 24 valve is doable. The 12v is your most direct bet, as you can buy motor mounts and a tranny adapter and have no ECU to deal with, and it has the potential for as much power as you want to wring out of it. From my conversations with AutoWorld and Ford Cummins, making the C6 work is a totally worthless endeavor. The low-revving Cummins basically requires an OD, if not an OD PLUS 3:55 gears, and physically making the C6 work is neither easy or cheap.
Being stuck on an auto transmission certainly complicates things, depending on your abilities of course. You need the transmission ECU and all its associated BS. You might want to consider an E4OD with a Destroked adapter and an aftermarket controller like the Baumann, or a 47rh from a 94-96 Dodge but you will have some issues with the electronic lockup and OD unless you run the computer or you'll need to manually switch them on and off.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you all say about the C6 and a low revving engine...I hadn't considered that... maybe a GV or similar would help? Still the E4OD would give you the factory OD. I bet Brian's Truick Shop could build an E4OD that would not be ripped apart by the Cummins. My commentary was based on the observation that the torque of an IDI often tears up an E4OD as most people use them...true if it is perfectly maintained that may not be the case.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes an all mechanical 12v would be nice, but i think that an e40d is a much better choice than the dodge trannys. Even if i have 35" tires 3.55 gears a c6 and an gear vendors its not worth it? i thought that the unltimate would be my gearing and my built c6 with a gear vendors of the back. A 12v from what im told will bolt up to the cummins with the destroked plate. I talked to the man who makes them so ya.

I think that a built c6 and a gear vendors is much better than a e40d swap.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Yeah probably, but A) Gear Vendors are not by any means cheap, which deters most folks, and B) wouldn't you still need a diesel C6 and not a gasser version?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah probably, but A) Gear Vendors are not by any means cheap, which deters most folks, and B) wouldn't you still need a diesel C6 and not a gasser version?

I agree with you. For the price of a gear vendors overdrive you could buy a used E4OD, rebuild it, and modify it for practically the same amount of money (my bet would be you would be in the hole a couple hundred bucks if you built it up good). Plus then you could sell your C6 and get some more money back for the swap.

I dont know about the gasser version vs the diesel version of the C6, though I would think a diesel C6 would be geared better for the cummins.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right the diesel C6 is geared a bit lower and yes you'd definitely need a diesel version. I can't for the life of me figure out why any adapter that would mate the E4OD to a Cummins would not also work with a C6. That said, you'd need the GV and they are really expensive, like $2700 expensive. You'd also have to find some way for the C6 to get the right amount of vaccum so it would know when to shift. There may be other options for an aux. trans besides the GV but they'll all run more than 1500. You need to talk to icanfixall if you want an E4OD he can tell you what Brian is charging these days. I just hate to see you put all that work into a swap and then have that Cummins eat your (probably used) E4OD for lunch...and have you right back to square 1. How about manuals...Dodge Ford or otherwise... does it HAVE to be an auto for some reason?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all i need help with some questions

can an allison auto model number mh2500 fit in an 86 f350 4x4?

Secondly could i mate it up to my transfer case? Or would it have to be a divorced setup?

Is there anyway to mat it to transfer cases? The allison 1000's are

heres some info on the tranny http://www.penndda.com/allison/mhs_0003.pdf

also is a commonrail and the intercooler going to fit in my 86?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle