Bought the 86 f350, swap begins

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well all am am 5 days from the beginning of my winter break and need to decide what motor setup i am going to go with

1. 6.0l stroker with all things including tranny and transfer $4500.00
2. 24v with all ecms etc but no tranny etc $3500.00
3. commonrail with tranny transfer etc. $5500.00
4. first gen 1990 auto 4x4 truck complete and running great $1650.00

iam debating the cost versus usablitly versus ease. I need to certainly get better mileage than 6mpg that the big block is pulling, but i dont want to spend and oodle on engine etc because that can buy alot of gas. If i got the 1990 its cheap complete and will get what 16mpg? so thats almost triple the mileage for the least money and it would be a super simple swap.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well all have there pros and cons. Personally I think it would be awsome to see a 6.0 in one of these trucks. It would probably be the hardest though, and you dont mention if it came with the wiring harness or not. It probably wouldnt get you best milage out of them, but it will have the most power stock. The 12vavle would probably get the best fuel milage, and is probably the second easiest to put in (behind the IDI).

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
There's a reason Ford replaced the 6.0 with the 6.4, with that said, keep it simple. IDI or a 12v cummins.

You keep asking for opinions from everyone and lots have stated thier minds, what you need to be asking is....what do you want, a straight forward engine project, or a pain-in-the-ass project. Anything that requires a computer and sensors to properly function is a PITA. 12 volts and some diesel fuel is the best way to git-r-done!
Trust me, the more complicated you make a project, the more pissed off your gonna be when things don't workout the way you hoped. You'll be kicking yourself in the pants later down the road if you try to overthink the project.
There are 4 words that I tell myself anytime I set out to make/fab something. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) this makes life a little easier.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
There's a reason Ford replaced the 6.0 with the 6.4, with that said, keep it simple. IDI or a 12v cummins.

You keep asking for opinions from everyone and lots have stated thier minds, what you need to be asking is....what do you want, a straight forward engine project, or a pain-in-the-ass project. Anything that requires a computer and sensors to properly function is a PITA. 12 volts and some diesel fuel is the best way to git-r-done!
Trust me, the more complicated you make a project, the more pissed off your gonna be when things don't workout the way you hoped. You'll be kicking yourself in the pants later down the road if you try to overthink the project.
There are 4 words that I tell myself anytime I set out to make/fab something. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) this makes life a little easier.

Ford replaced the 6.0 with the 6.4 for emmissions reasons. But the early ones had some problems, so yeah reliablity comes to mind with it. What year 6.0 motor was it? But yes I agree if I were in your shoes I would probably go with the 12valve.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About my BTS E4OD trans. The warranty is this but its not really advertized. "Any horsepower... Any torque.. No questions asked"..... Nuff said on that. Also Suncoast Trans in Florida is really the same warranty too. What kills these and most any auto is the heat they make. The hotter you run it the shorter you have it. Around 160 to 170 is where they live the longest. Brian recommends running the mid 2000 PSD trans cooler and the radiator cooler. He states they run fine that way for a long time. The other place these E4OD trans are weak is the stock torque converters. They have a wimpy 25 square inches od clutch material conpared to Brians with 150 square inches of clutch material. I really like how my t-c locks up. Its like a standard trans. Just hold on cause your off to the races when it happens.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.0 liter setup was replaced in total from a warranty claim in late 04 and has only 600 miles on it!

As far as my shifter on the column will i be able to use my stock c6 shifter assembly maybe some mods required?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will the first gen cummins with the 727 easily fit in where the 460 and c6 were?

Theres adapters to go from dodge trannys to ford t cases corrrect?

or should i put a 700r4 behind it? i have a excellent running k20 4x4 laying around that i once again have every part for

Last edited:

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i have decided that i am going with the first gen cummins, or the 6.0l stroker setup as they both have lowered the price alot

i need to figure out what tranny transfer combo i am going to use. the truck i could be buying has the 727 and passenger side drop 205 i think.

Where as the whole ford 6.0l setup has everything i could possibly need to do the swap

will a ford married 205 bolt up where the dodge 205 was? or are they different slpines etc?

it looks like the only thing that is going to bolt up to the 727 would be a 241dhd out of a 94 or newer auto cummins truck?

there is adapters to mate a 205 to a 727 etc i just cant remember where to get them, ive tried advanced adapter and quad 4x4

anyone have a some dimensions for the 727?

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I thought I heard the the 727's had a really hard time handling the torque of the first gen cummins when they were stock, let alone modified. If your going that route I think you should look into getting a different tranny. Or you could build up that 700r4 and throw it in there, that would probably sufice, though you would have to build it good.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe, i know that they are bomb proof built, but who knows. Man i am having no luck figuring out this transfercase issue. I wonder if i should just get a well built e4od and put it in there and everything would bolt up issue free then. I want to put the least amount of money into this while making it reliable but this transfer case thing isnt helping. I dont even know where to get a np241dhd let alone i think that they are full time junkers

Does anyone know how to make a c6 shift low enough to work with a cummins? Even a diesel c6 shifts too high compared to a cummins.

Last edited:

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
The c6 shifts on vaccuum, not hard to regulate/adjust. A 727 is going to be just fine, actually I would prefer that over an overdrive dodge trans. A 727 can be built tuff just like any other trans. Do you plan on dragging an Abrahms tank around or something? If the 205 is already on the back of the 727, a drivers side drop should work as long as the splines are the same.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would i adjust it or whatever to make it shift early in the rpm range? I really need to know this as i could just use my built c6 and tcase and not have to change anything there.

I pull a 10000lb 4 place custom jet ski trailer 7 times a year and when ever i drive this truck its working not playing.

Thats the problem with the dodge 205 vs the ford 205 is there totally different. Different splines inputs sealing area etc.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
The engine would require a vaccuum pump, like an idi does. If your "built" c6 is out of a gasser, you will probably need to put a different governor in.
As far as the t-case's, it may be as simple as pulling the front cover's off the two and swapping input shafts to use the ford 205 on the back of the 727.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i guess the question is would i want to spend the extra money say around 2500 or so at least for the correct dodge tranny and transfer or ford setup or whatever or would i rather buy some thing with very very few miles on it such as the 6.0l setup or the common rail setup that has everything needed?

So who makes tranny controllers for the torqueshift just incase for some reason it doesnt shift correctly.

as far as the dodge 205 stuff into the ford 205, would that work? Has anyone done this?

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Dude, ya lost me. I don't see where you have to go and spend 2500 on a trans and t-case, if the first gen cummins is a complete truck with trans and case. Maybe I read wrong, but if you already have the trans with the motor, then all you need to worry about is mating a ford style t-case to the trans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.