Bought the 86 f350, swap begins

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no you're correct the first gen is a complete donor truck. Which in reality all i would have to do is install a manual transfer case of a 94 or newer dodge cummins auto and fabricate the shifter etc. Which after searching is pretty common part i guess, but there 1200 bucks! ouch. does anyone know what the shift pattern is on the np241dhd is? like is it 2h then pull one back for 4h etc?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i found a np 241 dld that should bolt up to my 727 correct? Its a 23 spline version that was behind a gass auto 4x4 2500.

The people ive talked to says it should bolt up.

anyone know where, or have an overdrive unit for the np 241's? Besides paying the obvious full price.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went and took another look at the truck, and the motor is so nice. If i am paying 1400 for the whole truck or say 1000 for the engine am i paying to much?

Anyways after much thought id like to keep my c6/np208 running gear intact, as the dodge tranny isnt near as nice as my c6 setup is.

So with that being said how am i going to keep my c6 shifting at a low enough rpm so it doesnt blow up the cummins? How would i keep it so the kick down doesnt kick in at to high of an rpm and blow the motor?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, now that ive heard and np 205 swap will be easy put on of those on back of the c6. But wait where is the speedo reading taken from, isnt it off the t-case?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still waiting on those questions about the c6 shifting low enough as not to blow up the cummins.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the guy who has the 6.0l setup has told me that he will lower his price to 4000.00 for the entire engine tranny/ transfer all wiring and intercooler dash panel gauges etc etc. He has every thing needed to make it run.

Some one give me some measurements of the engine front to back side to side etc so i can even see if one will even fit in and 86 f350

What you all think? The 6.0l or the mechanical cummins?

Anyone have a source for cheap overdrive units?

Last edited:

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
talked to my transmission guy for about 2 hours today and he was telling/ showing me the differences between the ford and dodge trannys. After this i am convinced that the only good thing about a dodge was the fact that it had a cummins in it.

He suggested i go with a late model 4r100 diesel 4x4 app or a built ford AOD, because it has all the upgrades and has a 6 roller steel planetary and various other beefy steel items where the aluminum is the king in the dodge trannys and early ford e40ds. The AOD would bolt right in and up to my truck because its exactly the same as a c6 etc. It also would require to computers, and would use the same detent cable style thing that the cummins uses with the 727.

What you all think?

Last edited:

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can the np205 on the back of that 727 be clocked around to be a drivers side drop? Man transmission cores are expensive. I might for now just put the 727 in there with the nv241. There core alone even with my buddies shop for a 4r100 is a grand. and a 47rh isnt much better

How similar are the 727/nv 241 compared to the c6 208 as far as mounting them in the rig goes? Anyone have dimensions charts etc?

Last edited:

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents my boss has a 98 12 v that won't keep the tires under it. The stock dodge tranny has never been rebuilt, having over 200,000 speaks well. I don't see many electronics to deal with, and wouldn't see why after building crossmembers it wouldn't fit in the ford.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got done talking to another swaper and he said the my ford np208 should bolt up to the 23 spline tf727. Does anyone know how many splines are on the ford np 208's. He said the bolt pattern is the same as well?

i located a nv 241 that i am going to pick up tomorrow just in case.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online