Bought my first Dodge Cummins

Daniel26

Reaction score
Well I have joined the Cummins world after many years of wanting to. I am going from an 89 Ford f-250 diesel non-turbo to a 95 Dodge 1 ton dually diesel. It has 140,000 miles, body sort of rough but price was right and was a one owner.

I considered turboing my ford but just couldn't rap my head around adding a turbo to a truck that isn't made for it being I already the replaced the egine in the Ford.

So what do I need to know about this 12 valve cummins and the dodge truck itself. Any input would be much appreciated.

I am so excited I can hardly stand it!

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Don't know much about the 2x front ends, motors respon well to mild upgrades (IE fuel plate, intake/exhaust) but then you will need to beef up the trans. Might wann check if the KDP has been tabbed...

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
You can try searching OBN for your questions. However you might have better luck using a site like DieselTruckResource.com or TDR1.com (a pay site) for your goat info.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
welcome to the site.

Tell us a little more about the truck - what trans (auto or manual) - got pictures of her?

We love to see pictures of our members trucks.

I will try and sit down later tonight and do a write up on the KDP - I didn't realize that we didn't have it as a sticky at the top of this section.... means I'm failing or slacking on my job... I'm doing breakfast right now and got church here in a little so like I said I'll try and get that done for ya later on tonight.

I think you'll like your truck. I know I loved mine.

Daniel26

Reaction score
It has 5 speed manual tranny. I will try and get some pictures in the near future.

I am looking to have it painted and put a new box on it. The rear passenger side fender has dent in it. Talked to body shop today, said new dually fender is $1,000 per side. Can get used box in excellent condition for $800. The box is all white. The pickup is white on top and blue down the side. My plan is to just paint the cab all white to match the box.

I bought this truck from an older retired couple that purchased it brand new to pull their fifth wheel. It has sat mostly the last 10 years and has not been driven much. I hope that doesn't work against me on this truck.

Before I do much of anything on the body though I scheduled to get it in to have a diesel mechanic look at it. I was informed by visiting with one on the phone today that these engines really don't need much attention. That makes me feel good and I hope he is right.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Really they don't.... the KDP is a biggie but other than that they are pretty decent and just want fuel and routine maintenance.

I still haven't found the time to do the KDP article.... you'd think a guy out of work would have nothing but time but here as of late I've had projects to do and such.... so I'm shooting for tonight..... I have to head down for a drug test today and fill out some paper work for a new job.... will take all day considering the drive... But I do have the text done but just trying to put the finishing touches on it like pictures...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Oh the nv4500 has a nasty habit of tossing the 5th gear off - don't worry it won't fall off it's captured on the main shaft. It's a pretty easy fix. I have my own thoughts on why it fails or what causes it to fail...

The gear in OEM style is a slip fit which allows it to rock a little on the splines this vibration will and does work the nut holding loose. You can install the updated nut with the set screws on the side but that's just a bandaide while it will get you back on the road but for how long because the rocking will loosen that as well - trust me I know... One thing I found that helps it along is using the cruise control unloaded in a truck that has it's power cranked up because the cruise is designed with a stock engine in mind so it thinks it has to move the pedal X distance to gain 1 mph but in a modified truck it doesn't have to move it that far.... so what happens is it moves the pedal X distance but then the speed passes right on pass the speed set point and then it gets off the throttle and slows down but then it does it again - you end up with surging which is loading and unloading the gear causing it to rock even more.... I wanted to put in a needle valve in the vacuum line for the cruise but never got around to it to stop this and make the cruise react slower. This will only lessen the chance of the gear coming loose....

To kill it dead in it's tracks you have to replace the mainshaft and gear assembly with a set that is designed with the 5th gear to be pressed on.

http://quad4x4.com/NV4500 5th Gear Failures and Solutions.htm

has just that....

I didn't do this because of the cost. What I did was I replaced the gear and mainshaft with another slip fit gear and double nutted it - two nuts jammed tight with both of them having the set screws and had good luck but I also wasn't using the cruise control unless I was loaded. So I can't say for sure that my fix would work. I did try welding the nut at one time but all that did was cause me to kill the mainshaft and it broke in two pieces on me leaving me stranded on the side of the road during a move.... not cool.... So if you choose to weld it don't weld the holy snot out of it like I did... I was a little under the weather at the time I welded it (12 pack in me) and naturally when my nephew said you can't weld that I bellied up to the challenge.... the weld the next morning did not look too pretty - actually it was nasty.... I burned the snot out of the shaft and so naturally it failed.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat