Boss wants to buy another truck or two, what should we look out for?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well Im a ford guy obviously from looking at my sig. But my boss is a die hard GM man. He wants to purchase a newer GMC 2500 or 3500 crew cab for the company truck, and trade his older GMC off for a 1500HD.
Since I dont know a whole lot about duramax engines, and GM trucks, I normally only hear the bad, electrical fires, engines blowing up before 20k etc. But what should we look for in purchasing a duramax? He's currently looking at an 07 crew cab with 130k on it. Is this one of the years plagued with engine problems or electrical issues?

Also, could someone give me the low down on what the difference is between a 1500 and the 1500HD that he's looking into getting for his personal vehicle?
Thanks!

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Any year Dmax is ok, '01-'04 have some injector issues but are getting to be pretty cheap to buy. I would steer clear of '07.5 new body style rigs, they have the particulate filter and all that emissions BS. There aren't really any years with electrical or engine problems, those are mostly rumors that get started for some reason.

The 1500HD is basicly what a 3/4 ton used to be. IIRC they have 8600 GVW, 8 lug wheels, 6.0L gas motors, and are basicly a good compromise between the HD 3/4 tons and the 1/2 tons. The regular 1500's have 6 lug wheels, a much lower GVW, and smaller motors.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Everything DD said. LB7's had some injector problems. Best bet is the LLY's and LBZ's. I'd stay away from the LMM's (new) with particualte filter crap. Lots of aftermarket support for the LLY's and LBZ's also.

Tom