Borg Warner 1356 carnage

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was going in my truck, spins nice and shifts thru the ranges good so I was somewhat tempted to just bolt it on and go, good thing I decided to play it safe tho and opened it for inspection - I was hoping the case wear from the pump arm would be minor, instead this is what greeted me:

1) mangled pump stay-put/keeper arm
You must be registered for see images attach

2) broken off fluid inlet:

3) loose pickup tube torn off the pump:

4) junk and chunks around the pickup screen and magnet:

5) loose chunks floating on the bottom, maybe from the pump arm but maybe not:

I'm thinking what happened is when the pump stay-put arm wore thru the case and pump spun around both the arm and the pump inlet hit the shift forks rail, the inlet sheared clear off and the arm got bent into the gear where the chain chewed on it some. I'd think this BW1356 is now only good for spare parts.

So I need another transfer case. I have a freshly rebuilt NP208F out of an early-'80s fullsize Bronco (according to BlueOvalTrucks and few other online places it was used in F350s as well so strength shouldn't be an issue), and one of my shifters is actually correct for a NP 208 thus making it a bolt-on affair as far as transmission is concerned. Fun part will be the driveshafts - F350 uses double-cardan front shaft, Bronco probably does not. Do Borg Warner yokes swap onto New Process transfer cases? I'll actually run into this regardless of whether I go with the NP208 that I have or the NP205 that I want. So if anyone has swapped in a 205 in place of the factory BW unit what did you do for the front shaft?

Then I got the rear shaft mess, the NP208 has a fixed yoke and uses a slip-shaft, while the BW1356 has a slip joint and uses a 1-piece shaft. Any chance I can get one of you '80-'86 owners to crawl under your truck and give me a measurement of shaft diameter where it's welded to the slip joint? And if your truck is reg cab, I'll also need approximate length of the main tube, between the slip joint near the transfer case and the U-joint flange at the axle end of it - measure it from flange weld to flange weld, it's easier.

Thanks!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got a 1356 and 1345 both slip yoke rears here! Prefer to rid myself of the 45 as the 56 is a one ton model.

U want it yers...u pay shipping!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Woah. Hold up a minute.
Pretty sure my 88 f250 front shaft was not a Double cardone. I bolted the case from my 94 f350 into the 88 f250. The f250 u-joints were actually slightly larger. But I went ahead and snugged them down, as I rarely need 4x4.

So, why couldn't you just use a non DC shaft, just swap the yoke from a 250 in. I still have the 250 shaft, if you're interested.

And why can't you just run a DC shaft?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Riot, shipping on something so big will be prohibitive even if your superwifey sends it from our side of the border. Besides, have you opened them to confirm pump is not about ready to blow thru the case like this one did? What a stupid design this is, all it would have taken to avoid (or at least significantly delay) this type of failure is a pump stay-put arm that is taller where it touches the aluminum case, which is easily achieved if the piece of steel they stamp it out of was 1/2" wider at that end... But nooo, let's save ourselves a penny per transfer case and make it as tiny as possible.

Jasper, the double-cardan shafts are F350-specific thing, I got a D60 and matching shaft and BW yoke to go with it. It is my understanding that the DC and regular yokes are different somehow, so if you're running a DC shaft on a non-F350 case you'll need to swap the case yoke to the one that matches the DC shaft. Or, as an alternative, someone here said that a non-DC shaft can be flipped around and then it will work with a D60 and non-DC transfer case. Actually the yoke on this dead BW looks like it may be a DC yoke, I'll have to double-check depth of the nut to confirm this, but I know for a fact that it will not properly accept the DC shaft I got with the axle cause it's wider than it (probably a 1350 yoke, and shaft is 1330 or something). Which is kinda odd cause the case is a pre-'92 model and I was under the impression that the early 1356 Borgs had their largest possible U-joints in F350 application... Anyways, the NP208 case is kinda burried under stuff right now, I'll go dig it up in a bit and drag it over to truck and see if the DC shaft will fit it or not.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, been playing with this for a while, got some interesting finds to report:

1) BW and NP yokes do NOT interchange - outer diameter is identical however the NP case has marginally larger shafts and possibly more splines.

2) front NP208 yoke (at least mine, from a '80 Bronco) will not work with a double-cardan shaft, however rear NP208 yoke is identical to double-cardan BW yoke as far as height and u-joint are concerned, the only difference is the bore and splines as mentioned above.

3) front and rear NP208 yokes can be switched around - doing so results in a front yoke that can now accept a double-cardan shaft for use in F350 applications, and the rear yoke becomes a standard 1350 single u-joint for use with variety of driveshafts.

And now if someone can only grab those shaft tube diameter and length measurements for me... Pretty please? LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me check on shafts K I may have something for ya.

1345 IIRC is fixed yoke on rear, thus I have the shaft with that unit but it was a T19 which no problem same length as ZF anyway.

I'll check K!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Main tube length from WELD to WELD 46 1/4"

Diameter at slip yoke male end for drive shaft is 3" as far as I can tell

Here is what I got hope this helps, it's yers if you need it!

It would need new U joints for certain!

Hope that helps ya out let me know if you need more!

Al