boost question

ZachStack

Reaction score
I have a F350 idi turbo diesel with a new motor in it and i wanted to turn up the boost...but i do not know how to. im new to the turbo thing. Ive turned up my pump and put bigger injectors in it. so how do you turn it up. im running about 7 now. I want to turn it up to run about 10 to 12. any advise?

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the waste gate actuator off of the turbo and shorten the actuator rod by about 15 turns. Hold the rod with vice grips or lock it in a vise so it won't turn inside the actuator. Be careful not to break the rod. I'm assuming that you could also unplug the line that plugs into the actuator and just plug the end of that line. The would just disable the wastegate all together. I haven't tried this on an IDI turbo but I know doing this will disable the wastegate on a powerstroke.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you have a pyro gauge this is an easy job. If not your looking for trouble. The pyro tells you how hot your exhaust is getting because you turned up the fuel.
Sorry my answer was directed towards the fuel turn up. But as posted above. turning up the boost is simple. The boost can rod needs to be shortened for higher boost. What that can is doing is holding the boost port closed. It gets the pressure to open that port from the inlet side of the turbo. In that can is a diaphram and spring. As pressure increases so does the boost.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your just cruising and not pulling a load, 7 PSI boost at 65-70 MPH "2300 RPM" your doing real good, your boost will/should rise with higher RPM's, ya just don't want to over speed the turbo. Ya better have an EGT guage so ya don't run over 1250 for too long, piston tops seem to melt if ya do.

ZachStack

Reaction score
Thanks for all the good info. i have a pyro gauge in the truck...its just never worked. i need to get a new probe from what it looks like. i didnt turn up my pump too much...maybe a 1/16th of a turn. some guy on youtube said to turn it a 1/4 turn but my gauge wasnt working so i didnt turn it up that high. when i get my gauge fixed i might turn it up a little more.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
what turbo do you have? i had a Ford/ats and blocked the hose. it'd build up to 16 psi. i have a banks sidewinder now. it'll hit 14. wondering what it'd do if i blocked the w/g....

ZachStack

Reaction score
i have an ats turbo. eventually when i get my other 7.3l block built ill have the banks turbo kit on it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
my ats/moose pump combo will make 22psi. i need to hook the waste gate back up before i blow my engine...

Wow.. If your running with stock head bolts and the boost gauge is correct.. Well your running way past the edge and not doing your engine any good. Running past 13 or 14 lbs of boost is putting some hot air in the engine because the turbo is beating the hell out of the air charge. I'll bet your inlet temps are above 350 degrees. To SAFELY run those boost numbers a set of studs and new head gaskets are necessary plus an intercooler. Nuff said bout that.

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently add a moose jr pump to a friends 94 idi with factory turbo, and plugged the wg to see how it runs. It would hold 15psi as long as I had my foot into the throttle. Certainly made it even more fun to drive!

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow.. If your running with stock head bolts and the boost gauge is correct.. Well your running way past the edge and not doing your engine any good. Running past 13 or 14 lbs of boost is putting some hot air in the engine because the turbo is beating the hell out of the air charge. I'll bet your inlet temps are above 350 degrees. To SAFELY run those boost numbers a set of studs and new head gaskets are necessary plus an intercooler. Nuff said bout that.

the heads are studded in the engine has been re-gasketed. I'm not trying to hijack this thread. if you can help I started a thread today about getting my boost turnEd down