boost and head studs?

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been wondering how much boost can head studs handle on a 6.9?
I have stock bolts and running about 17 psi with propane

sootman73

Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek::eek: you are lucky that you haven't blown ahead gasket yet! 17 is really high on a stock 6.9! the accepted safe max boost on a stock motor is 12-14 pounds!

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know knock on wood i havent had any problems but i cant believe the propane woke my truck up that much and gave me 3 more mpg's which is about 20 to 21 if i dont wanna see any black smoke lol. But how much more would head studs hold?

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
before pushing the envelope too much i would buy an ARP head stud kit and at least shelf it so if it goes south it won't take long to fix

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is very true but does anyone know how much head studs can hold as far as boost psi goes? curious

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think with headstuds you will be safe there. I would try to keep it around there though, I wouldnt try for more, unless you drop the compression some.

I gotta do headstuds to, dont feel to bad lol

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i dropped the compression i would lose power because lower the compression i need more boost to comphencaite for the lose of compression. but do you think it would take 20 psi?

Burninoil

Reaction score
that was my first post... I have been a member for awhile... just come here to read the posts thoughcookoo

FordGuy100

Reaction score
With studs, 20psi will be pushing it without dropping compression. I think if you want to push that much boost, dropping the compression would be fine. It would also give you ample time to stud the intake and exhaust manifolds. But, your turbo might be out of its efficiency range right now, super heating the air. Its non gated so it will be able to push more boost without superheating than a wastegated turbo....but I think the boost your running at its going to be headed out of its efficiency range.

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i get what your say but it really gets up and goes when im at 10 to 13 psi but what alternative do i have?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
With studs, 20psi will be pushing it without dropping compression. I think if you want to push that much boost, dropping the compression would be fine. It would also give you ample time to stud the intake and exhaust manifolds. But, your turbo might be out of its efficiency range right now, super heating the air. Its non gated so it will be able to push more boost without superheating than a wastegated turbo....but I think the boost your running at its going to be headed out of its efficiency range.

uhmmmm....what would studding those help? :confused:

and with studded heads what's a "safe" boost range to run for, oh lets say.....300 feet? LOL

-Jon