Blue smoke issue

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unlike a gasser thas only flung oil on cylinder walls these have a stream of oil spraying cylinder walls.therings are extremely well lubed...so heat must be made to get rings to seat correctly ....

JM7.3CW Eh

I will buy that, thanks.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small update, haven't been able to load it down yet as it's not technically road legal quite yet but I did go for a spin around the block and couldn't see any blue from the exhaust. When you start it up it has a small hint of blue till the high idle kicks off so I'm thinking injectors are to blame as the timing is rechecked at 8 degrees @2000rpm if the rain decides to let up this week I will pull injectors and test them.

I understand engines need breaking time but when you buy a new vechiles they don't break them in and they don't blow blue so I'm thinking I do have a problem somewhere just have to find it now.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand engines need breaking time but when you buy a new vechiles they don't break them in and they don't blow blue so I'm thinking I do have a problem somewhere just have to find it now.

Gasser's don't have a break in procedure.

Diesels do have a break in procedure, new or old, especially a rebuilt engine.

Gasser's only have half the compression, if that compared to a diesel.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought gassers DO have a break in period. I thought I read somewhere the new cars and trucks are actually programmed to be down on power till a certain amount of miles or run time has elapsed. No proof of that though.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't take nearly as long to seat the rings, iirc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Im not convinced it takes all that long to seat piston rings. Some have said it takes 5k and even 20k miles to fully break in a Diesel engine.
85% of ring seating happens within the first 15 minutes of new engine run time. And how the next 15% supposedly takes thousands of miles to fully break in doesn't make sense to me but that is just my opinion. Could totally be wrong.
Seems like my new rebuilt engine is already broken in with about 200 miles on it. There is 0 blowby when engine is cold & hot and isn't burning any oil. I think a lot of that has to do with the new technology being utilized nowadays when cutting crosshatches in cylinders. Don't think it takes that long to break an engine in nowadays.....but I do think it's very critical to put a mild load on a new engine to aid in ring seating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US