Blown diesel?

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a sidenote to really complicate things.....
I have a MBZ SL55 AMG in the shop right now and it has a Eaton blower added to the V8. The unique part is there is a electric clutch on the front of the blower to engage/disengage the unit. Holy mother of Christ does it make a difference when it engages:eek: I'm not sure how the system bypasses when it is not needed but when it does kick in and traction control is turned off....it's like the turbo in my GN lighting off for hyperdrivecookoo;Sweet;Sweet

Hmmm interisting idea with the clutch, A/C compressors have them......hmmmm.

Also if you look at the pic of the benz(in post #10) it has what appears to be a W/G actuator on the front mid way in a I/C tube, mabey some sort of bypass?

Stu

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm interisting idea with the clutch, A/C compressors have them......hmmmm.

Also if you look at the pic of the benz(in post #10) it has what appears to be a W/G actuator on the front mid way in a I/C tube, mabey some sort of bypass?

Stu
here's all I know from a quick google.....
Mercedes-Benz

You must be registered for see images attach

The most potent supercharged Mercedes is the SL55 AMG. With a 5.4-litre V8 thumping out 350kW and 700Nm (from just 2650 rpm) that should come as no surprise!
The SL55 AMG’s highly efficient Lysholm-type supercharger (manufactured by IHI) features Teflon coated compressor screws and is driven at more than 23,000 rpm at an engine speed of 6500 rpm. At this speed, the blower displaces 1850kg of induction air per hour and generates up to 12 psi of boost pressure. The supercharger is also equipped with an electro-magnetic clutch that is used to switch it on/off depending on rpm and load. A water-to-air intercooler is also used to help achieve that magic 350kW.
And then there’s the smaller Mercedes SLK32 and C32 AMG.

You must be registered for see images attach

Using a 3.2-litre V6, these cars apparently use the same Lysholm-type supercharger unit as the SL55. In this application, however, maximum boost is up to 14.6 psi and at maximum engine speed (6220 rpm) the blower is flowing up to 1200kg per hour of induction air. Interestingly, the blower does not engage at engine speeds above 3000 rpm due to the resulting belt stress. Maximum outputs are 260kW and 450Nm of torque.
And price? A Mercedes dealership quoted us AUD$10,933 (new) for either ...
The relatively garden-variety Mercedes SLK230 and C-class is equipped with a less sophisticated Eaton M62 supercharger. The M62 displaces 1000cc of induction air per revolution and is smaller overall than the M90. On the SLK, the Eaton M62 generates up to 7 psi of boost and with the aid of an air-to-air intercooler it makes 142kW. Again, an electro-magnetic clutch is used to switch the blower on/off.
The Eaton M62 is generally suggested for use on 2.5 to 4.0-litre engines and is about 40cm long, 20cm wide and 12.5cm tall. A new one from Mercedes Benz will cost you AUD$5558 but, again, check out the wreckers.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember the name of the company but I think they are in Iowa but they were building and selling supercharger kits for powerstrokes, not sure what others. I watched a video of it and it was pretty fast but probably could be achieved with a turbo just the same. I kind of wanted to try building something like that awhile back. I think a turbo sounds nicer than a supercharger though. But both get the same job done just differently.

zpd307

Reaction score
didnt mad max have a blower on his car that he could flip a switch to turn on? with a blower, you change the drive pulley to change your boost.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didnt mad max have a blower on his car that he could flip a switch to turn on? with a blower, you change the drive pulley to change your boost.
they didn't have magnetic clutches to handle the power like they do now.
check out the closeups on the MBZ setup.

Attachments

• SL379606.JPG
    SL379606.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 7
  • SL379607.JPG
    SL379607.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 5
  • SL379608.JPG
    SL379608.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 5

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score

That was a dummy blower.On a roots it HAS to keep spinning.You stop the roters you activated a air valve.No or every little air will get into the engine.If you have a path for air to bypass the blower you will be blowing all the supercharger air back out when you have it running.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't quite make out exactly what FT was saying their but on a roots blower there is a bypass valve that lets the incoming air recirculate into the into the duct. In fact delicate control of that simple valve can be used to control the boost. The roots always spin but pressure is only built when when the valve is closing/closed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle