BLOWER MOTOR ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I have owned my 85 F-350, the heater/AC blower motor has been rather weak.

Compared to my Chevy and GMC, hi-speed in the Ford is some slower than lo-speed in the GM's.

I have an old 85 BroncoII that is slow fanned, too.

Is this normal for my F-350??

Is there anything that I can do to make a cyclone blower out of my heater fan??

Is there an after-market replacement that will really get with it??

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
I replace the blower motor in my 85 to the tune of about a hundred bucks, only to see no benefit found the real cause of low air volume to be the evaporator clogged with dirt and dust and animal hair. Pull the plenum off the firewall to expose your condenser and gently house out all the crap that's stuck in it. You will be amazed the amount of CRAP that comes out of there!

I wish I had taken pictures.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked a similar question about a year ago, and was basically told that it's as good as it's going to get...apparently, these fans aren't powerhouses, and as far as anyone knows, there aren't any high-output replacements out there.

:(

This was with clean ducting, BTW...

IDIeselman

Reaction score
The next time you are at a junk yard keep an eye out for a little high output note in the middle top of the heater controls, The F-series from 1978-1991 IIRC, could be had with the high output heater.I will ask the wizzard the next time I am there but I believe the blower from a same vintage econoline will work and blow your hat off when on high setting.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIeselman said:
The next time you are at a junk yard keep an eye out for a little high output note in the middle top of the heater controls, The F-series from 1978-1991 IIRC, could be had with the high output heater.

What does IIRC mean??

IDIeselman said:
I will ask the wizzard the next time I am there but I believe the blower from a same vintage econoline will work and blow your hat off when on high setting.

What, besides the blower-motor, will I need swipe off one of these trucks/vans??

We replaced the heater core in an early 70's Chevrolet pick-up with air a couple days ago.

We dumped out a piggy-bank full of change, all kinds of tools, toys, combs, pens and pencils, candy, dead mice, nails and screws, a spoon, a pocket-knife, etc., etc., and a bra that would double-wrap Dolly.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pardon the dumb question here guys but........... I've owned an early 70's ford PU and now a mid 90's Ford PU. Never had the pleasure of owning an 80's vintage model. My 95 has a pretty decent blower on it, did the blower configuration change between the 80's and 90's models?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
My 95 has a pretty decent blower on it, did the blower configuration change between the 80's and 90's models?
I don't think so, but I could be mistaken...that's interesting, though. Maybe the blower motor did change? I think the configuration's the same, though...hmm, maybe a "darkside" fan could fit an earlier truck? Any chance of taking any pictures of the fan housing on your '95?

BTW, the "Hi-Output" heater refers to systems that did not have factory-installed air conditioning. So, if you have factory a/c, I believe you already have the "Hi-Output" components...and I think trucks with factory a/c have a different fan than trucks with only a heater (I could be mistaken, though; I've never seen a truck without a/c firsthand)...

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Some of the doors in the ducting may not be closing all the way and you're not getting the air directed where it needs to go 100%. Just a thought.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
IMO my 94' blowes quite a bit of air - plenty to keep me comfy. As the others mentioned, its probably due to leaky ducting, non-closing doors, clogged Evap (typicaly occures when there is a slow freon leak in the evap) and sometimes a weak blower motor.

good luck

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Any chance of taking any pictures of the fan housing on your '95?

Tomorrow soon enuf? I wont have a chance to get under the hood until sometime tomorrow morning.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
What your describing is exactly what I was experiencing in my 85. I thought the ducts were bleeding air. So I got some aluminized duct tape and sealed everything up.

I mean every where there was a seam in the stock ducting got it covered with tape. NO difference to air volume at MAX setting.

Replaced blower motor with new hundred dollar Napa part seen some junk in the bottom of the air box under the blower and cleaned it out and washed the squirrel cage thoroughly. ZERO difference.

Thought maybe there was a problem with the A/C since I had it converted to R-134. Had the MOST reputable shop in the area take a quick look at all the system pressures and condition which were ideal. then even had them evacuate and recharge system and recheck pressures again they were stellar. NO difference in cold air volume.

Finally after sweating in the hot sun in traffic one day I got pissed enough to Check the ONE thing I had not actually laid my own eyes on which was the A/C evaporator. LOW and behold there was about 2 sq. inches of fins that were actually letting air pass through. every other nook and cranny of the evaporator was PLUGGED SOLID with grime, grit, dust, oat chaff, horse hair, saw dust, even some remnants of packing peanuts and a number of other F. O. D. that was picked up by the Max A/C inlet under the glove box near the passengers feet. Where all the dust and junk from working in the field or out at the ranch would collect.

pulled the evaporator out not draining the system just using the slack in the lines and laid it on the fender well and flushed it using the hose at about 1/4 power and back flushing both ways till water flowed freely through it. then hit it with some simple green and let that soak for 3-5 min then flushed thoroughly again. cleaned out the area in the box near the evaporator with a vacuum and a wet rag. Thoroughly cleaned the evaporator drain and put it back together with a LIGHT bead of silicone to seal the box tight and low and behold TONS OF ICE COLD AIR!

IM willing to send you $10 cash if that's not your problem! That's how confident I am that it is.

there's a company out of AZ that is a Internet dealer in A/C system parts and what not. I think I got there web address from Warden when he was looking to install a parallel flow condenser for his R134 retrofit. Any way they have a foaming cleaner that works pretty well on moderately dirty systems. You drill a SMALL i think 3/16" hole in the heater box in front of the evaporator and insert the dispensing nozzle hooked to the aerosol foam can empty contents into air box while running the ac on Max high and watch all the sludge and grime come out of the drain hole. As I recall it was pretty cheep too. Did that on my 94 and it helped a bunch.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dualie said:
there's a company out of AZ that is a Internet dealer in A/C system parts and what not.
I assume you're talking about this site? ;) When I re-did my a/c in '04, I bought the "master Ford" O-ring kit, a new drier, and an R-134a orifice from them...good service, the quality looked to be there, and the price wasn't too bad. :) I wish I could have gotten the parallel-flow condenser, but $$ prohibited it.

Unfortunately, I checked my evaporator for restrictions while I had it out of the truck, and it was clean... :(

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heres a pic of my blower motor and its housing. I found a PN# on the blower body as well.

Made by Siemens

F4TH-19805-AA

Hope this helps some of you guys.

Attachments

• DSCF0037.JPG
    DSCF0037.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 27