blower motor problems

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
on my 91 the a/c and heat were working fine, next day neither would come on. i looked at the 30amp fuse and it was not blown but melted. and it messed up the fuse holder too. but i think i might be able to put another fuse in, but i want your opinions first.

i know there is some type of relay mod you can do to the blower motor which at this point is probably my best bet, so if someone has a link or can explain it a little better that would be great.

also where should i look for a problem that melted my fuse?

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not heard of a blower relay mod but i guess there's no reason why it could not be done. but you are probly looking at more like three relays than one. one relay for each blower speed. but again i think it could be done.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The mod in question is to put a relay for high speed. At the other speeds the motor does not draw full current. What you need is a basic bosch relay with a 30 am feed. You cut the high speed wire off the back of the switch and you use the switches high wire to trigger the relay. You wire the relay to the blower motor positive directly. Just make sure that you insulate the wire you cut near the switch on the harness end since the relay will backfeed the circuit. That is the quick and easy way. Its hard to explain without pictures though. Somewhere there was a diagram for the headlight switch relay mod that you could interpret into a blower relay mod with a little thought.

BTW, most vehicles on the road today are built with htis relay (high blower relay) due to this exact problem.

Ken