Block Heater?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
This may sound silly, but how can I be sure that a block heater is working? How warm should it keep the engine?
My truck and my wife's Suburban both have block heaters, and before long the weather is going to get cold enough that it would be a good thing to have.
Should I just plug it in over night and pop the hood in the morning and feel the block?

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
if you plug it in and lay under your truck you can hear it humming. or if you unplug it fast and get an arc it is drawing amperage.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes, if you plug it then you can hear it. No need to have it pluged on all night, just 2-3 hours and you'll be good.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
Yes, if you plug it then you can hear it. No need to have it pluged on all night, just 2-3 hours and you'll be good.
Oh!! Outstanding!! That's Wonderful!! That's exactly what I'm going to do!! I'm going to wake up every Morning at 3:00 am Just so I can run out in the freezing cold and Plug my wife's truck in!! :rotflmao cookoo
I'm just playin'. thanks for you reply.
So, how warm will it get the truck if I leave it plugged in over nite? Will I still have to go out and start it for her, or can she run out there start it and have warm air? (She's Kindof a Candy A$$ when it's cold outside.) :rolleyes:

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
get a timer to put it on about 3 hrs before you wake up. your electric bill will thank you.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I have a heavy duty timer and a heavy duty extension cord for my heater. My timer is set for 4:00 and she is ready to go by 7:00. Now, if I can only drag my lazy butt out of bed to get to work on time :rotflmao
John

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Camarogenius said:
Oh!! Outstanding!! That's Wonderful!! That's exactly what I'm going to do!! I'm going to wake up every Morning at 3:00 am Just so I can run out in the freezing cold and Plug my wife's truck in!! :rotflmao cookoo
So, how warm will it get the truck if I leave it plugged in over nite? Will I still have to go out and start it for her, or can she run out there start it and have warm air? (She's Kindof a Candy A$$ when it's cold outside.) :rolleyes:

Do the timer thing for efficiency. Even leaving it plugged in all night probably won't satisfy her "warmth expectations". However, you could put a small portable heater in the vehicle and have it plugged into the timer as well for "general effulgence" (that's a good thing) :love:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Camarogenius said:

Yes you can do that, or you can just go to home cheapo and get a timer -Down jeje. :angel:

Thats wath I'm geting for this winter anyway.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Camarogenius said:

I think you're mixed up. The block heater only warms the engine block, not the entire truck. Keeping your wife warm is YOUR job. :Sly

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
Full Monte said:
I think you're mixed up. The block heater only warms the engine block, not the entire truck. Keeping your wife warm is YOUR job. :Sly

:popcorn

So, to simplify further, some things might benifit from being "plugged in" ( :Sly ) with a timer involved, other stuff shouldn't have a timer involved at all ( :Sly :love: :party: :fart :idiot: :Sly )

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
yeah we have a good time down here in the basement(learn something once in a while to :eek: :D )

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I've been using a block heater to warm my WVO tank and I have a temp gauge in it after all night its 125deg in the morning but it only needs 3-4 hours to do its job