Block Heater

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I plug the truck in It keeps tripping the ground fault breaker in the House. This just started happening. The circuit only trips when the truck is plugged in, nothing else on the breaker. So my question is, how easy is it to replace and what do ya think it will set me back.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check it out...

How is the cord you are using???
Try a differant cord..
Also try plugging another high amp drawing thing into the GFI.
Maybe the GFI is going bad??

Just a thought.

Good Luck
John

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks John. I did try a different cord and still trips. Breaker is only 2 years old but I guess it could still be bad. I do have another breaker. I will swap it out and see.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its trippin a 15amp breaker the the block heater is bad b/c it shouldnt pull but 3 to 5 amps for a 1000watt block heater that they put in the psd a factory replacement will be about 50$

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I change it out is the heater submersed in antifreeze or is it inserted into a well.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its on the right hand side of the block submersed in anti freeze should be the 3rd freeze plug back and positioned in the 11o'clock area

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well no garage to work in and about two to three feet of snow on gruond. It will wait for a warm day. like maybe spring.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
its on the right hand side of the block submersed in anti freeze should be the 3rd freeze plug back and positioned in the 11o'clock area

that location is on an idi

on a psd it is right above the oil filter, it is in antifreeze, so you will need to drain the system. if ya replace it get a cord and heater, usually come as a package.

you can check with a ampmeter if yours is good, 2 flat prongs should have continuity, and the round proong should not.
common problem is the cord breaking right behind the plug

sassyrel

Reaction score
no need to drain--got a good vac??? take cord off of heater---get it started loose---take off rad cap---------and however--tape the hose to cap opening---to where it wont come off,or suck into opening----get under truck--and as start to remove heater--have someone turn on vac--suction will keep antifreeze from coming out---have other heater right there before start this. no mess whatsoever--

timpsd02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about using a vac but just not that way, besides my radiator does not have a cap. My overflow does maybe thats what you meant. I was just going to swap out quick with the heavy duty vac right there. Anyway I will check the continuity on the plug first, however it does not trip gfi instantly. If there was a short to ground it would. Maybe I will change out the cord cap on the truck as the prongs may not be making good contact due to tarnishing from weather. Bad connection causes heat and higher amperage.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I thought about using a vac but just not that way, besides my radiator does not have a cap. My overflow does maybe thats what you meant. I was just going to swap out quick with the heavy duty vac right there. Anyway I will check the continuity on the plug first, however it does not trip gfi instantly. If there was a short to ground it would. Maybe I will change out the cord cap on the truck as the prongs may not be making good contact due to tarnishing from weather. Bad connection causes heat and higher amperage.

wellllll--yah--truck antifeeze fill cap--i didnt write it perfect--

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
When I repalced mine on my '96 it took everything I had and my buddy to get mine broke loose! Other than that it took us a total of bout 25 minutes to change it out. I used a lot of thread tape to stop it from galding back in there if I ever have to change it again! Got around 350,000 on the old girl and rarely plug it in here in Ohio unless it stays below 15 deg for more than a few days. Check the cord and see what you are ohms are may just be the cord bad mine was ok till it heated up some then it would open up and short out!