Blinkers + Hazards quit working

Ct96

Reaction score
Hey all, just wanna start by saying thankyou for the help on my last issue. My glow plugs are manually controlled now and I'm very pleased.

Anyways, maybe something I did while swapping that (I didn't disconnect the batteries and my ratchet sparked a few times..), or just by chance, my blinkers and hazards have given out now. I tried replacing the fuse even though it looked OK, and checked all the other cab fuses as well, everything looks hunky dory.

They worked when I was driving it last, about a month ago, everything was fine. Its just been sitting that whole time till I got the glow plugs sorted recently.

Everything else seems to be in good shape too, brake lights / head lamps / running lights / etc.

Anyways any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks for reading.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not that familiar with the OBS trucks. Maybe you have a bad flasher at the fuse box or maybe it's the turn signal switch in the steering column? Those would be where I'd start looking.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a round thing in you fuse panel to the left of steering wheel. That's is your blinker/flasher relay. After that, I would suspect the blinker switch in the steering column.

Ct96

Reaction score
There is a round thing in you fuse panel to the left of steering wheel. That's is your blinker/flasher relay. After that, I would suspect the blinker switch in the steering column.
Okay I replaced this flasher and my blinkers still aren't doing anything. I found what I believe is the correct part on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078BNG3H...t_i_4GZ6ZA9Q3WCZBTZAM440?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Does anybody happen to know if this is the right guy? I'm nervous because it says 92-96 which is usually power stroke stuff? I've got a 1992 idi. But it does look like the correct one.
Also, this would still be the correct part to buy if my hazards aren't working, right? Some confusion in the Amazon comments.

Thankyou for your input.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should work. A lot of the interior parts are interchangeable. The IDI ended production in 94, and the PSD picked up in 94-96.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The IDI ended production in 94, and the PSD picked up in 94-96.
The OBS trucks with the PSD option continued until 1997. The 1/2 tons and light duty 3/4 tons switched body styles in late 1996 for the 1997 model year and were called 1997 models. This is probably listed as "through 1996" just to save from confusion.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well not a fix but half way threw my trucks test drive blinkers and hazards went out just ran it without for a couple weeks and one time i just hit the blinkers and they worked and haven't broke since

Ct96

Reaction score
well not a fix but half way threw my trucks test drive blinkers and hazards went out just ran it without for a couple weeks and one time i just hit the blinkers and they worked and haven't broke since
well, ****. I hope I get lucky hahaha

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I remember, there is a Flasher can on the back side of the Fuse Block for the 4 ways.

Goat
Correct, there are two flasher relays. The turn signal flasher is on the fuse panel below the steering column to the left.

The hazard 4 way flasher is on the backside of the same fuse panel, you have to go under the dash to get to it.

FYI, the turn signal switch and hazard 4 way flasher switch is actually one part, so a failure of this part could take out both.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a logical way to figure this out. First you need a diagram. I attached that below. Then you need a testlight. You can get one of those from Harbor Freight.

According to the diagram there are two fuses. Fuse 7 and fuse 13. The easiest way to verify you are getting power is to unplug the flashers, and probe the socket terminals with your testlight. One of the terminals should light the testlight with the key in run. The turn flasher will be hot in run, the hazard flasher socket will be hot at all times.

Unfortunately after that in the circuit is the turnsignal switch, Ford calls it the multi-function switch. If you get to this point, the first thing I would do is turn the flashers on and then tilt the wheel up and down if you have tilt wheel and see if they try to work. You could also "exercise" the flasher switch up and down quickly about 10 times and see if things start to work.

Attachments

• WD_Ford_179228.pdf
    20.8 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.