Blinkers/Hazard lights & reverse lights not working

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My signals did the same thing just before that flasher blew. I'm thinking my issue is the turn signal switch being worn it's not returning to center correctly and is staying partly engaged. My turn signals also kill my cruise control sometimes. I plan on replacing the switch, it might be a good idea to try that on yours as well. I've gotten in the habit of wiggling the signal switch to make sure it's not clicking anymore.

As said before, those pins are for the horn, and also for the cruise control on the trucks that have it. Those pins have nothing to do with the operation of the signals or hazards.

WARNING: If you decide to swap the switch, and you have cruise control there is a little copper pin that is only on the cruise equipped trucks and doesn't seem to be on the replacement switches. You'll need to swap that over or you may find your horn only works with the truck off. Yes very odd but it happened to me and I've heard of a few other people with the same issue.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Is the plastic turn signal cam loose? That is a wear part. If the turn signals are what are going off when they shouldn't, it's the cam. That's what makes the connection for the turn signals inside of the column. A plastic bushing deeper inside has to make physical contact with the turn signal cam, that's how it self cancels. If it's hanging up with the cam, that could be why perhaps.

Those little dinky bare wires that look like paper clips are what activate the turn signals. Depending which way you select, it tilts one way or the other. That's why there's only 2 red wires, they do all the work for both turn signal directions, one or the other.

You must be registered for see images attach

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disassembled the plastic bit to check contacts and it seems fine. One of those exposed wires was maybe bent a little high so I tried bending it down some. The plastic bit clicks on/off depending on which blinker really well, I think it holds itself in a good place when they aren't on. Any reason why I shouldn't re-connect the batteries with the wheel off? I think that would help me with diagnosing this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It should be fine to have the battery hooked up. Not sure if they're all negative wires or not, but so long as you don't cross anything with the metal housing of the column, nothing bad should happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online