Blew up my rear end today. Your have one?

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
check car-part.com and check in your area for axles, or wheels whatever u might need. I find it be pretty helpful on yard parts.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Sounds like if you keep an eye on your pinion yoke, you'll be fine. I've had mine back off on a regular basis, once a week I grease my stuff, and would always check it for slop, when it got loose, I'd tighten it. Just keep an eye on stuff and it should last you a long time.
I'm not sure the newer rear ends aren't a bolt in, did they get narrower or wider? Plus the disc brake option would be nice, no?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 10.5" rear axle are the goofy metric bolt-pattern too tho, so he'll have to convert the front to the metric setup as well and find matching dually wheels for all those...

On the pinion nut loosening, mine did that once but I caught it on time and tightened it before any damage was done to the splines. This makes me wonder tho, if I tack-weld the nut to the pinion shaft, would that prevent potential failure? I don't care if at some later point in time I have to spend several hours grinding the welds, what I do want is reliability out the *****, so to speak...

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
check car-part.com and check in your area for axles, or wheels whatever u might need. I find it be pretty helpful on yard parts.

that site almost always has what you need! alot of times yards on there are pretty pricey and sometimes cheaper. bought a tranny from a yard off there a few months ago for $650 found one a week later on c-list for $400. i was pretty mad lol i should of waited.

DragRag

Reaction score
I have all I need at the moment less two dually 16" wheels. The guy has two 16's and four 16.5's. I don't want anything to do with 16.5's. So, I am short two 16" dually wheels at the moment. Anyone have some alloys maybe? Or two steel wheels would do until I find some alloys.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
:eek: Wow I didn't know the Sterlings had a crush sleeve :puke: What were they thinking?! :rolleyes:

I've only built Toyota diffs and you can remove the cs and install a solid spacer and shim the pre-load on the bearings that way. Crush sleeves will not last very long at all offroad as I found out a few years back. I wonder if a spacer and shims are available for the Sterling? Also red loc tight is a must on pinion nuts imo. If you ever have to remove the nut simply heat them (not a lot of heat by any means) with a small butane torch to loosen up the loc tight.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I always heard the sterling was a tough axle. I do agree however the crush sleeve isn't a very great design.

taken from the ford 9 in--but wayyyyyy more tork than an original 9 was used to----------

sassyrel

Reaction score
Sounds like if you keep an eye on your pinion yoke, you'll be fine. I've had mine back off on a regular basis, once a week I grease my stuff, and would always check it for slop, when it got loose, I'd tighten it. Just keep an eye on stuff and it should last you a long time.
I'm not sure the newer rear ends aren't a bolt in, did they get narrower or wider? Plus the disc brake option would be nice, no?

except the stud spacing is larger--on a m/m size--170???

sassyrel

Reaction score
The 10.5" rear axle are the goofy metric bolt-pattern too tho, so he'll have to convert the front to the metric setup as well and find matching dually wheels for all those...

On the pinion nut loosening, mine did that once but I caught it on time and tightened it before any damage was done to the splines. This makes me wonder tho, if I tack-weld the nut to the pinion shaft, would that prevent potential failure? I don't care if at some later point in time I have to spend several hours grinding the welds, what I do want is reliability out the *****, so to speak...

blue loctite--

DragRag

Reaction score
Well, I now have a Dana 70 H.D. dually rear with matching 3.54 gears to the D60 up front. I'm gonna have a new truck here pretty soon. I have swapped the t19 now for a zf5, upgraded to a solid mass flywheel with 12" clutch. Installed the ATS turbo, exhaust system. Got rid of the stock bed for a flatbed, and now it is going to be a dually out back with the new, much stranger rear axle that will hopefully deliver better reliability. Pics this week when the job is done, I use this truck to tow all the time so I can't have it down very long at all. I will be going with 235/85R16 tires in place of the 285/75R16's that are on it now. I needs the smaller tire anyway so I can maximize my H.P. and torque, the larger tires are just to big for the gear ration I have. Pics and drive report after job done.