Blew another @#$%@#$% tire....

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've had my new tires and rims on the front of the truck now for almost a month. I had pretty much decided that while I like the General AT grabber 2 tires, I wanted to move them to the rear and put a set of Michilen AT/2 tires on the front. Then it happened. Yesterday I noticed a slight vibration on the way to work. I though maybe a weight had fallen off of one of the new tires. By the time I got to work, it was noticably worse. I checked, and I had busted a tread on the drivers side rear. I was missnig a small piece of tread about the size of a dime. I ordered the other pair of rims, and the tires from TireRack. Unfortunatly, the only warehouse that had the rims in stock is out by Reno NV, so they won't be here until next Wednesday. I figured I would nurse it home (24 mi), and then put the one good rim/tire on that I had pulled off the front. Well, I was about 5 mi from home when the tread let go. Beat the living snot out of the sheet metal on the rear of the bed. The tire didn't blow, so the rim is in good shape. Picked the pieces up off the road, and called my neighbor for a lift. He ran the other tire out to me, and we changed it there on the side of the road. The up side is that now I will have all of the tires and rims out of the way, and this gives me the excuse to get the truck into the body shop and have the drives side door bent back into place (it's sagging a little). The bad news is that a new fuel system will now certainly have to wait until next spring :mad: I was really hoping to be able to save up and do that this fall. Oh well, she still runs, and no one was hurt. Although, you'd think that in rural Indiana, on a 4 lane divided (median) highway, folks would actually scoot over when passing a dissabled vehicle. Made me want to chuck my tire iron through the windshields of all those ladies who were too busy talking on their cell phones to notice what was going on around them. -cuss

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Been there, done that! It really does suck. When they throw a tread like that its usually because there is broken belts in the tire. If it throws a tread and still has air in it take the valve core out and let it go totally flat before you get near it... Very dangerous when there is still air in it.
Ken

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately taking the valve core out is not that easy when you're dealing with dual wheels, like I was about a month ago when my inboard passenger-side tire decided to throw a tread. How fast was the truck moving when the tire let go? I was cruising at around 50-55 when mine went, no load in the bed, which is probably why I lucked out with the tire not blowing (that would have been a mess).

sassyrel

Reaction score
know what??? i pers believe--its getting near impossible to find good tires anymore!!!! serious--the tires on the front of my car arent going to last even 10,000 miles--and they are wearing even--wonder what in h the tread compound is being made of?????-cuss

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Wow and I was going to spring for some of those tires too. Like said, seems like tire quality has gone down the crapper.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't the new tires that had a problem. It was an old Remington 33x12.5 that was on the rear. I bought two new General Grabbers last month, along with a set of 16x7 rims and put those on the front to see how I like them. I wanted to run them for a month or two to see how I liked them before I bought a set for the back. I ended up buying a set of Michelin A/T 2 tires that will go on the front. I'll move the Grabbers to the rear. I like the Grabbers, and they will do fine on the rear, but most of my driving is up and down the highway, so I think the Michelin's will do a better job for me on the front end. Smoother and quieter ride, much longer life span, and better stopping on ice and wet pavement. With that heavy diesel sitting on them, it just seems like these will be much better suited for the front end of my truck.

The grabbers will do a good job of getting me through the mud on the rear end, and the Michilens still have enough bite to help out in 4wd. That's my logic anyway.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I roll on Continentals.My first set were factory tires.65,000miles and still have tread when I replaced them....but very very little.