BLACK SHEEP

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well i figure 30 lbs is obtainable with overtorqued head studs but have not got to testing
the twin compound i had planned would be 30-60 the point just below failure
but the issue was how far could it go
that 1200 hp idi was a beast running a ton of boost but the block was like jello

To make that much boost, you need to come up with a formula to lower the compression just a certain amount that was the effective compression ration stays the same as it is now, that will be a more effiecent engine than just going into the build blind and just lowering the compression some crazy amount, but however far you lower the compression your gonna have to have a heck of an IP and injectors to fuel enough to make up for the compression loss

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the IDI has a good bottom end. Its not usually a problem when under designed stress loads.

Lot of rotating mass for the cummins though.

Under designed stress loads. All bets are off when we go outside those designed stresses.

Lots of rotating mass for a cummins? Its rods are bigger, which apparently isn't good, just a lot of rotating mass (I think its good). But since it has two less of them, isn't it less rotating mass overall?

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that one of the issues with the idi engine has always been the 'high' compression.

Yet here is an example of that compression with 80psi of boost.

Does that mean that it is other issues with the idi? (pre-cups/indirect injection/block strength/rotating mass strength or.....?)

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
on a stock engine who knows, i can tell you there has been people that has blowed the headgaskets at 10psi,

Now that being said i have ran over 10psi since the day i put my turbo on, i didnt hook the wastegate up when i put it on i immediatly unhooked it and later wired it shhut so the drive pressure wouldnt open the wastegate,

I guess for around a month now i have been running close to 20psi daily it reall fun to be rolling along about 2300rpm and 6psi of boost, and just floor it and watch the boost jump to 13psi and then steadily climb and getting layed back in the seat is awesome, but i know at anytime i could blow the headgaskets, or the valley pan gaskets, but it sure is fun while its lastingLOL

well i have and 088 ats non wastegated on an i dont know what boost its pushin the boost gauge is hooked up but it never reads anything its plugged into the intake hat where its supposed to be but still needle dont move im thinkin boost leak somewheres though but were guna be runin a powerstroke turbo as soon if our one buddy decides if hes guna let me have it or not

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well i have and 088 ats non wastegated on an i dont know what boost its pushin the boost gauge is hooked up but it never reads anything its plugged into the intake hat where its supposed to be but still needle dont move im thinkin boost leak somewheres though but were guna be runin a powerstroke turbo as soon if our one buddy decides if hes guna let me have it or not

Make sure your boost line isnt kinked, can you hear the turbo spool up??

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
Make sure your boost line isnt kinked, can you hear the turbo spool up??

yea i can hear it spool and theres no kinks in the line but i keep seein what looks to be oil packed in the like like just a little but i changed the line before cause i seen that in the last hose and i seen theres oil in it again it looks

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a motor thats healthy will take a lot of boost its when something is wrong that causes issues

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
a motor thats healthy will take a lot of boost its when something is wrong that causes issues

Headgaskets probly wont last long, but if you wont to try to throw 30 psi at a stock engine be my guest, even i wouldnt try that and i think i push the limits beyond anyone else

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
well i usually only go to a certain point to but im guna be gettin a 7.3 idi that im guna rebuilt so i figure after i have that all fixed up im guna put a biger turbo on and see how long she hold im hopein it holds out like all hell just to **** off certain people i know thats all in the new **** and i cant stand anything over a 7.3 powerstoke and i cant stand cummins other than i like the common rail but cant afford haha

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
well i usually only go to a certain point to but im guna be gettin a 7.3 idi that im guna rebuilt so i figure after i have that all fixed up im guna put a biger turbo on and see how long she hold im hopein it holds out like all hell just to **** off certain people i know thats all in the new **** and i cant stand anything over a 7.3 powerstoke and i cant stand cummins other than i like the common rail but cant afford haha

Why would you want a common rail? if i were ever to buy a cummapart it would be a 12V P pumped

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
just could never stand the 12 valve my buddy has a commonrail has 250,000 on the motor and hasnt had major issues and i love the sound of a straight pipe common rai

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online