Black Exhaust Systems

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Does any body have a picture of there exhaust tail pipe that is painted black and has a chrome tip on it? does not matter what kind of tip, just chrome.

i need to see how a chrome tip would look on a black pipe. apparently my stainless steel system is rusting after a couple months.

thanks

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The lower grade stainless will rust unfortunately No matter what as the contaminates and debris are already working it over now.
Painting it with a high temp black will help cover the rust down the road and if prepped properly will look good for awhile but the paint too will get peppered and chip off and you'll be back to square one.
Granted the black will be easier to maintain by just sanding and reshooting the rust areas, we're screwed either way living in the rust belt. I guess if ya don't mind chasing it then gitrdone. :D
Goldie gets a fresh coat each year too underneath. Just an extra added expense and time to keep these old pigs going.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Powder coat it.

that would be worse than painting it.

when a rock hits paint, it will chip and continue to chip, not really "trapping" moisture. PC will just chip in the spot the rock hit it and then hold the moisture accelerating the rusting.

Ron, i have done some searching on it and the SS used in my exhaust is a lesser grade and it will surface rust fast but should not go all the ware threw. for now i will just keep an eye on it.

was just a little surprised to see pretty good rust on my 2 month old system.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yuck! Can see every rock strike on the pipe. :(

On edit:
A few years back our gravel road was sprayed with potassium chloride for dust control. You thought stone chips are bad. That stuff turns dust into cement on everything under the truck and couldn't be washed off. Had to literally scrape and sand it off.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a lot of luck with our coats then. My company coats for one of the largest ag company's in Ohio and we do countless sprint car and classic car frames. He said exhaust was stainless so shouldn't rot all the way through. What u say about rusting under the coat is true and I have seen it myself it is all on how u prep the metal, cure temp and time, mills of powder and brand. Good powder a rock won't touch. Just my. 02 cents from my personal experience.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about ceramic coating ?

I do small part powder coating and 90idi4x4 is right about using a good powder there are some specialty powders you
can get that are really tough and meant for exhaust. Dont know about ceramic coating really other than hearing about people
doing it o there exhaust.
Around here it would be cheaper to get a quality ss exhaust than to have a shop powder coat it.
Use a magnet good ss it wont stick low quality ss it will stick like regular iron.

Last edited:

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like stainless to me. My stainless system still is smooth and shiny and I think its been on longer than yours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online