BioDiesel Kit?

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Brutis yes, it is a very viable fuel source. Like I said in an earlier post the dodge has ran on it in warm weather 100% WVO just filtered for over 250k. :D

Salt and baking soda... Learn something new every day I guess. I don't see us using salt but removing the fatty acid crap to keep the jelling to a minimum is intriguing... Thanks for the heads up. :D

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah just look around on google and you tube you can find lots of peoples setups and make one really good one

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brutis yes, it is a very viable fuel source. Like I said in an earlier post the dodge has ran on it in warm weather 100% WVO just filtered for over 250k. :D

Salt and baking soda... Learn something new every day I guess. I don't see us using salt but removing the fatty acid crap to keep the jelling to a minimum is intriguing... Thanks for the heads up. :D

A centrifuge is still the best thing going of course. i just don't have the spare cash for one. the salt just passes to the bottom and collects water to bring along by making it more dense. everyone freaks out about water in the fuel, but i am really not as concerned. some take their oil down to something like 6 parts per million. i think thats just overkill. never hear of a diesel being killed my small traces of water mixed with fuel. Just large amounts of water from condensation or bad fuel.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
A centrifuge is still the best thing going of course. i just don't have the spare cash for one. the salt just passes to the bottom and collects water to bring along by making it more dense. everyone freaks out about water in the fuel, but i am really not as concerned. some take their oil down to something like 6 parts per million. i think thats just overkill. never hear of a diesel being killed my small traces of water mixed with fuel. Just large amounts of water from condensation or bad fuel.

Plain and simple some people just think too damned much. LOL

I went rounds with a couple of chemists at Kettle Chips in salem OR about running their used canola oil in their trucks and company cars. They give the used oil away one tanker truck at a time and then buy bio diesel back from the company that they give the oil too.. The flat refused to believe that a diesel engine can run on canola oil untreated and converted into bio. Guess they never read about Rudolf Diesel designing the diesel engine to run on peanut oil eh? :rotflmao

Last edited:

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could use a drying tower for a biodiesel system, using some pipe exc and getting the drying media, look it up on www.utahbiodieselsupply.com lots of good info and maby some items to be used in one of these kits
http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/drywashtowerkit.php here is one of their tower kits

That's so much more than what needs to be done for running straight veggie. Bio-diesel does require very clean dry oil for the conversion process. Running straight veggie just get it filtered down to at least 5 microns and get any bulk water out. I also use a water seperating filter though i have never had to drain it.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's so much more than what needs to be done for running straight veggie. Bio-diesel does require very clean dry oil for the conversion process. Running straight veggie just get it filtered down to at least 5 microns and get any bulk water out. I also use a water seperating filter though i have never had to drain it.

Yeah i was just giving an example of what u could do;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree, you can make good biodiesel with higher amounts of water than I would be comfortable using as SVO fuel. Anything over 1 or 2 % is definitely going to cause problems you'll probably just get poor conversion and have to reprocess the batch the get most of the glycerol to drop out. Biodiesel is not that much more work than all the nonsense you have to go through to get SVO/WVO ready to burn. The SVO option may be viable if you have a long commute or use it on the highway only. My truck is a DD and I may not see 500*F on the egt, so I better stick to diesel or good bio. The only bad thing about biodiesel is it is a lot of work and it's messy and then you have to figure out what to do with your glycerol, you can't just dump it on the ground.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
The only "nonsense" we go through is filtering out the pieces of breading and tortilla out of the oil so it doesn't clog the filters immediately. LOL Not that big of a deal when we don't have to rig up a heater, separate tank etc. If we wanted to run it year around sure we'd need a heater but when your fuel is nearly free 8-9 months out of the year we can afford to buy a couple hundred gallons of diesel out of the pump. :D

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I have a "customer" in my side business that owns a bio-diesel supplier here in Portland. I run everything from used transmission fluid to b99, to straight diesel in my rigs. Of everything I have run, I get the best mileage, drive-ability, and least problems from b99. I run b20 or b50 when its cold to prevent gelling.

Most businesses around here give the used oil to a company and get bio-diesel to run in their rigs. Seems dumb till you consider the ENORMOUS amount of permits and licensing required to legally make bio-diesel over a certain quantity. I could make enough to power myself and a few friends, but its less mess to just buy it. Not everyone can buy it.

But anyway. Rudolf Diesel was a genius. I thank that man everyday!

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A farmer near me collects most of the used cooking oil from just about any restaurant in a 20 mile radius, and then processes it into biodiesel (using a 55 gallon drum with a pump, stirrer, and electric hot water heater heat element) to the tune of 3,000 gallons+ annually to feed oil burners in a series of greenhouses, as well as his home and shop. He built his processor for minimal cost with mostly scrounged parts, and has been doing this with success for at least 5 years. The only down side is that since it's a rural area, and there aren't that many restaurants that serve a whole lot of fried food, it's created a shortage of used fryer oil for any of the rest of us who'd want to try it.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imo i think processing your own bio takes longer than svo, because not only do u have the steps to prepare the oil just like svo u also have to do test batches exc and in the end atleast from my experience svo is the easy route no testing or long term processing/ drying just filter and go for the most part depending on the quality.

leftcoastjeff

Frankentruck lover
Reaction score
WVO

I'm getting parts together for my own conversion.

I used 2- 10 Quart vacuum bags and 2 settling barrels then filter 2 times through a 1 micron water filter then into clean qubies.

Lots of info here, hope this will not **** anybody off.

http://www.burnveg.com/forum/index.php

LCjeff

I think I will run a generator I got in the back. 18KW

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imo i think processing your own bio takes longer than svo, because not only do u have the steps to prepare the oil just like svo u also have to do test batches exc and in the end atleast from my experience svo is the easy route no testing or long term processing/ drying just filter and go for the most part depending on the quality.

Depends on where you are (temperatures) and your driving patterns. Up north, SVO creates the issue of needing to get the rig/ components up to temp on regular diesel before switching, and then you have to purge the VO before shutting down; if you don't do long drives, that can defeat the benefits. I understand that biodiesel involves more fuss, but it can be used in a wider range of conditions.