BIO DIESEL

jmt75143

Reaction score
I was wondering about running bio diesel. Does it burn like regular diesel, and is there anything to change in the motor to run it?

DragRag

Reaction score
Nothing to change, it burns the same as regular diesel. Smells a little better then reg diesel. You can also burn used motor oil mixed 50/50 with regular diesel with no changes.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Make sure you filter the used motor oil and know where it comes from. Used motor oil and biodiesel in a 50/50 mix works too. I ran used motor oil in my rig for a couple months and a few thousand miles and now I run straight biodiesel. I had my pump rebuilt and even though I filter to 4 microns it still had junk that was not to kind to the close internal tolerances of the pump (used motor oil, age, miles and the idiot previous owner killed it, not JUST used motor oil, but it did play a part in its rapid decline at the end)

A plus to bio here in oregon is the fuel tax kickback, we get 50 cents back per gallon with reciepts when we do taxes, Im looking forward to it.

punk

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all I use. B100. All the engine internals can take it very well provided it's reasonably decent quality fuel and no water. If you have any butyl or natural rubber fuel hoses left change them, and use viton on neoprene or braided PVC or else plan to replace them every year or more often. The hard metal and plastic lines are OK, and I guess the return system is too. It's such a cheap crappy system you'll be replacing it every year or two anyhow, biodiesel or not.