Bio-diesel Additive

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Met up with a local diesel owner today and he had a barrel of bio-diesel additive in the bed of his truck. We talked about it and he purchased the stuff from a local up start company out in the sticks. So I went out there this afternoon and purchased 15 gallons of this "*****" as I call it to try out.

Talked with the owner of the company for a little bit (1 hour) he makes the stuff from soybean oil, he said that it's not quite full blown bio-diesel but it's not straight veggie oil either - he said it's about mid way between the two. We talked about running SVO and he commented on it a little but when I mentioned the Appleseed processor he sort of shyed away from that a little (hummmm) but anyhoo I packed home the "*****" then popped the top on it and I believe that it's just freak'n soybean oil... He only wants me to use it in 10% mix with diesel then ramp up to 30% over time but in the winter to cut it down to 5%.... Sounds like SVO to me but I'm not a chemist or anything so what the heck do I know....

Is there a way that I can tell if it's straight oil or not because he "claims" there is methlyesters (or whatever you call them) in this.... It's a little runny but not more than what I would expect from store bought oil other than this is darker than the stuff Sherri has in her pantry. Either way I'm not upset about getting taken I just would like to know what it is that I bought. He claims it's a blended thing but it sure smells like straight oil and tastes like it also

don't you normally taste what you putting in your fuel tank?

theshyguy

Reaction score
I didnt even know there was a "mid-way". Sounds like its prolly just Soy oil. If you make BD you can not just stop half way through or its crap and is worthless.

strokin

Reaction score
I agree with theshyguy. when you make bio-diesel you mix methonal and lye (which both can be found local stores in small amounts) and the is what gives you methlyester. It seperates the glycerin out of the oil (fats)

sagebel

Reaction score
Put a small mason jar full in the fridge, also a thermometer. Find out what temp it clouds or turns solid.

Scott

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I agree travis you can't sorta make bio but it might be he is using or made up his on sorta diesel secret stuff that is I beleive gas or K1 to thin the vo enough to pump I decided to go the heated svo route myself