bio anti gel?

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Am am starting to introduce biodiesel into my truck, I am slowly doing this. What should I add into my truck with the diesel and bio diesel to keep it from gelling? Also I dont need any other additives to lubrication because of the bio correct?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of additives like Power Service in the cold weather. It is a big help for reducing gelling problems in winter, and you can always add Isopropyl later on as well.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting information. I used to work for an oil jobber through the 90's and have had the opportunity to try many different blends, additives and synthetics. That's why I am a firm believer in synthetic oil/lubricants throughout the chassis and a good winter blend of diesel in winter only. By blend I mean a mixture of both #1 and #2 fuel oils.

Kerosene is also used to mix with #2 fuel oil for diesels and home heating oils to increase pour ability and reduce gelling in colder weather. You can run straight Kerosene if you want, but there are less BTUs in #1 (Kerosene) vs #2. However #1 has a lower pour point than #2 and will encounter less problems in the blistery stuff. I like to carry a spare fuel filter and a gallon of Kerosene or #1 in case there is an issue with gelling in sub zero temperatures.

And a good additive (my preference is Power Service, I've just had good luck with it) will also help with reduce gelling and will help clean and lubricate the fuel system. I will also run a can of Isopropyl (or red HEET) for every 10-15 gallons of fuel year around in both my gassers and diesels for cleaning and water shedding purposes.

Just my experience. And my experience is running diesel engines throughout the winter on the farm to plow snow, feed animals, and to free the milk truck drivers when necessary. And the occasional drunken county snow plow driver...