bilsteain 5100 shocks? who uses them?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some monroe HD shocks on my truck right now, and I am not impressed. The truck is bouncy/jittery. takes big bumps well but over smaller imperfections is rides strange. I was thinking of getting the bilsteins since everyone raves about them. just wondering if anyone else runs them on their truck? What did you go from before them and your overall experience?

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother doesn't care for them, although he did an RSK and used V-codes on his front. It bounces weird on the concrete highway. IMO get the stiffer valved 5100's. I think there are 2 types.

Aside from that his 97 f350 rides absolutely fantastic with them, even through that weird bouncing around

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I'm running them on my suburban love them so far been on about 1 year
Do yourself a favor tho get the energy suspension poly bushings alot Nicer than what come with the shocks.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks will do. Let the shock do the work and not the rubber bushing, taking away from its damping ability!

kuskoal, mine is an 06 chassis, so coil sprung/radius front end, but it too bounced/vibrates/jitters over the expansion joints on the highway. if you do about 80 on them, you are basicaly jittering the whole time as the truck doesn thave time to settle down. Its not a bouncing, rather a quivering. the truck see saws back and forth over its length very rapidly.

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had Bilsteins among many others, mostly for trail/street. For the money Bilstein felt the smoothest, maintained control and stayed cool on washboards.

For my recently converted 4x4 van, I ran 5165's 366/240 on the fronts and 5125's 170/60 rear. I don't have many miles yet on this set up as I am dialing
in other parts of the vehicle, but on the short runs I've done, it is also feeling really good.

5165 Fronts
You must be registered for see images attach

5125 Rears

After a call to Bilstein USA to check, I verified that the 5165's do not run with boots!

Best regards,
George

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online