BHAF Selection

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm thinking of ripping out my stock air box and going to a BHAF like Geo has on his PSD. I know it's a pretty std mod that lots of folks have done but which filter should I use? I'm thinking simple here something that I can get locally Napa or Fleetguard to keep the foot work simple.

Please direct me, show me the light oh great ones :hail

I'm planning on making a shield for it so that the turbo does not turn it into a puddle of melted rubber and chard paper...

MUDDY

Reaction score
i used the fleetgrd ah19037 on the 98.5 with a heatshield.

on the 02 i used a fleetgrd ah1141 which is 2 inches smaller in diametr. with that i had a full housing to surround the filter and i cut a hole in cowl like the scotty air and also used fender air

the bhaf was 35 bucks and the mhaf was 30

blackeye

Reaction score
Another option is a NAPA part #6469. The filter element is one size smaller, but it is a covered filter with a 4" inlet cut in the housing. It has a outlet just like the normal BHAF.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Muddy, I've been thinking of doing the BHAF-Scotty for some time. Did that make a difference? I was thinking of doing a 4"dia. hole so I could buy a 4" knife gate valve and put a push/pull cable into the cab. I'm told the scotty makes it pretty loud in the cab with the hole cut open. This way, I could open up the "induction gate" only when needed.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
BTW, I've read the Napa versions come with hose attached on the end so adding 4" steel pipe is not required.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
oooo I'll have to look into the Napa one then once we warm up to at least double digit temps... too cold to do anything but sit in by the fire.

2500cummins

Reaction score
I think the napa version is identical to the others, most brands of BHAF have a DURALITE sticker on them, DURALITE is a donaldson trademark so this leads me to believe most are repackaged Donaldson filters. I instaled mine three years ago without a reinforcment and have had no problems at all with it loosening or collapsing
Here is a list of BHAF part #s:

Fleetgaurd # AH19037
Wix # 42790
Napa # 2790
Carquest # 87790
Donaldson # B105006
Baldwin # PA2820
John Deere # PMAH19037
Big A # 93790
CATERPILLAR# 3I0005
FLEETRITE # AHR819037
HASTINGS # AF1012
LUBER-FINER# LAF2531

Attachments

• dscn0268_3.jpg
    dscn0268_3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

MUDDY

Reaction score
tim,

a slight egt decrease w/ the cowl hole. every bit of coooooooooool air helps. i wouldnt worry bout the noise increase. not too much louder and in fact id leave radio off so i cld enjoy the beautiful sounds :D

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I have the k/n in the stock (swiss cheesed) box now. I took out the silencer ring for about 2 weeks. It was real cool running around unloaded, but with the trailer on climbing long mountain passes it was annoying after a while. Lil' woman was annoyed sitting shotgun. I like the gate valve idea as I would only have to put up with the noise to get me over the hill. Not to mention the added buttons and switches to the cab. I coined it the Whitmore effect...:D

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Just an update. I got the drawings from tdr member Dieselminded
http://www.dieselminded.otisnet.net/ for the guard.

I went down to my local welding yard today and they let me snoop through their scrap pile and I found a piece of 1/8" diamond plate which they let me have for $6. I found some 4" pipe lying around, but the only thing they had was schedule 40 - way too deavy huty. ;)
You guys are right about the filter, they're all the same. Only place in town that had one was NAPA. The P-built place told me the Donaldson's were on back order till May. I got lucky I guess. ;Sweet

Attachments

• BHAF-GUARD.jpeg
    BHAF-GUARD.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 6
  • BHAF.jpeg
    BHAF.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 10

Whit

Reaction score
Tim, I have some 4" pipe zactly like you need if ya want, lemmie know how long and I will bring with to the dyno, I dont understand why you need it if ya got the NAPA 2790 though.

Cheers, Kevin

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I'm not sure either. It's got about a 1" lip on it and it's pretty thick rigid rubber. Some say when you crank down on the clamp it crushes the rubber. I'm gonna try it without it today, I'll let ya know. If I needed some, it'd only need to be about 3" long. I'm mostly excited about that new neck tie you sold me. :rock:

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
OK, I got it all on yesterday afternoon. I won't need any pipe, I don't see how it would leak, the fit is pretty tight just sliding the pipe onto the filter. I have to say that all the cuts needed the 1/8" alum. diamond plate is tough to cut. My $30 jig saw wasn't too happy with me. I busted/wore out 4 blades, but with that a file and my hand held grinder I got-r-done.