BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A opinions

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edumacate me please, how can you tell which tire has slipped a belt? Reason for asking is that w/ my 1-ton dually (2wd) I recently noticed a vibration at speeds approaching 70mph, I don't normally go over 60 so I really have no idea how long the issue has been present. I run 235/85 General Grabber AT2 drivers that are few years old but w/ very little tread wear, steers are some generic 265/75 highway ribs that have the same age and mileage as the Grabbers but are worn down to half tread. I'm inclined to suspect the steers are the culprit since they're both too wide for the wheels they're on and they're worn down way more that the rear tires... Below 65mph I can feel absolutely nothing, truck rides as smooth as a old Lincoln luxobarge.

As long as the slipped belt isn't on the bottom, I can just run my hand around the tire. Or put it on a balancer and rotate it slowly. You'll see the tire rise and fall normally on the inside. If it's on the front, the steering wheel will move slightly left or right then straighten out as the slipped belt makes contact with the road. You could also have a bent rim. I have at least 3 of them on my dually. Vibrates at 70, but rides smooth at 55.

I'm looking for good aftermarket dually wheels. I'll probably replace the fronts in the Spring, the work on the remaining four at the next rotation.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TurboElk there were the extreme all terrain an we're not to loud better then the ko bfg I had before lasted longer but were aggressive so this round I tried hankook dynapro a/t. Happy so far great mud gravel highway seem to be to aggressive with sand only one trip but bad experiences. I will get pro comps again next year when I move back to snow. I did get 40k out of them on a 7.3 2wd cc sb ps chipped tires went to drag strip an alot of burn outs an offroad use. Probley could have got more miles if treated right also had camber issue up front for 20k.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to have different experience with tires. I had some BFG ATs (no snowflake symbol) on my old jeep, only maybe 8-10k on them, and wrecked it ass backwards into a jersey barrier on a slushy highway going maybe 40-45mph, and before that could barely make it through my driveway. While other people have great success with them, i won't ever run them again. On the dually, I just picked up six Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in our load range. We'll see how well they do when the time comes. But, there is no replacement for dedicated snows, none. They are made to serve a purpose, and do it better than any other type of tire.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone seems to have different experience with tires. I had some BFG ATs (no snowflake symbol) on my old jeep, only maybe 8-10k on them, and wrecked it ass backwards into a jersey barrier on a slushy highway going maybe 40-45mph, and before that could barely make it through my driveway. While other people have great success with them, i won't ever run them again. On the dually, I just picked up six Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in our load range. We'll see how well they do when the time comes. But, there is no replacement for dedicated snows, none. They are made to serve a purpose, and do it better than any other type of tire.

I've spoken to customers that said their tires were the worst. No traction in the wet or on slushy roads. First thing I did was to check the tires air pressure. Sure enough. They were inflated to the maximum pressure as indicated on the sidewall. cookoo

I would just air them down to the proper pressure for the vehicle which wasn't always what was indicated on the door jamb. Good to go. ;Sweet

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've spoken to customers that said their tires were the worst. No traction in the wet or on slushy roads. First thing I did was to check the tires air pressure. Sure enough. They were inflated to the maximum pressure as indicated on the sidewall. cookoo

I would just air them down to the proper pressure for the vehicle which wasn't always what was indicated on the door jamb. Good to go. ;Sweet

Which tires were you referring to? And of course, most tire techs at shops just fill it to the sidewall psi. And then when reading reviews, you have to take into account the person's driving habits/experience in the conditions they are judging it on. If anyone from my town gave a review on tires in the snow, i'd have to ignore it :p

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i just put two m/s 2's on the back of my truck and drove in about 5 inches of snow and they did GREAT! coming from a guy who works at a tire shop i would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the m/s 2!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.google.ca/search?q=bfgoo...Xev4GwBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=533#i=67

Is that the tire we're talking about....bc I have them. In mud they seem good chew through some tuff stuff....but in clay they suck (I think every tire sucks in clay tho). I have only drivin them in snow a couple times and it wasn't that bad.....compared to my geolanders tho the bfgs are similar to skates (in real.....I mean Canadian winters haha)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which tires were you referring to? And of course, most tire techs at shops just fill it to the sidewall psi. And then when reading reviews, you have to take into account the person's driving habits/experience in the conditions they are judging it on. If anyone from my town gave a review on tires in the snow, i'd have to ignore it :p

"these days" with TPMS sensors, the tire shop would be asking for trouble if they ignored the door sticker.