BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A opinions

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody running BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A tires? (not All-Terrain T/A) Do you like them? How noisey are they going down the road? How good are they in the snow ("normal" snow as in southern Jersey, not Canada snow)?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Those tires are TERRIBLE. my boss had them on his chevy tahoe and he would easily slide in just wet roads. i couldn't even imagine what snow would be like.

what kind of budget are you working with if you don't mind me asking?

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OLD BF Goodrich tires where the best I've used for all snow around here...deep powder... hard pack...slush...icy as in freezing rain......but they stopped making them awhile ago..don't know how the new muds are..

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pro comps are killer tires I drove in the snow 2wd an worked well nice traction. Lasted along time too. An if they don't grip good enough for you they come with lil spikes mini spikes you can screw in an take out.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pro comps are killer tires I drove in the snow 2wd an worked well nice traction. Lasted along time too. An if they don't grip good enough for you they come with lil spikes mini spikes you can screw in an take out.

Pro Comps? This is a BFG thread ;Really

If those tires are anything like the Rugged Trail, they will start slipping belt at 50% tread life. I would spend a little extra and buy the All Terrains ;Sweet

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pro Comps? This is a BFG thread ;Really

If those tires are anything like the Rugged Trail, they will start slipping belt at 50% tread life. I would spend a little extra and buy the All Terrains ;Sweet
Every set of all terrain 10 ply tires i have seen have split the tread cords around half tread. Three different sets did this same thing. The rugged trails suck horrible in any kind of condition except dry pavement and wore fast on my mom's full size tundra.

I have had a set of general grabber at2 on my half ton for a year now and with 10000 miles they still show no wear and have worked well in six inches of snow to ice to soft mud. My only gripe is these seem to hydroplane in heavy heavy rains. Just my $.02

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every set of all terrain 10 ply tires i have seen have split the tread cords around half tread. Three different sets did this same thing. The rugged trails suck horrible in any kind of condition except dry pavement and wore fast on my mom's full size tundra.

I have had a set of general grabber at2 on my half ton for a year now and with 10000 miles they still show no wear and have worked well in six inches of snow to ice to soft mud. My only gripe is these seem to hydroplane in heavy heavy rains. Just my $.02

Both the General's and Conti's (same company) are known to be "belt slippers". Every time a customer would come in with a vibration at highway speeds I would look at the tires. I got really good finding which tire was the problem and then selling the customer a full set ;Sweet

Same with a few BFGs, and any generic named tire. Selling tires was easy :rotflmao

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 80k out of 2 sets of bfg rugged trail t/A's, on a 08 f250 5.4 feed wagon that pulls alot of big loads. Only bfg tire I would run other than their highway tire.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Which Pro Comps were those?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the General's and Conti's (same company) are known to be "belt slippers". Every time a customer would come in with a vibration at highway speeds I would look at the tires. I got really good finding which tire was the problem

Edumacate me please, how can you tell which tire has slipped a belt? Reason for asking is that w/ my 1-ton dually (2wd) I recently noticed a vibration at speeds approaching 70mph, I don't normally go over 60 so I really have no idea how long the issue has been present. I run 235/85 General Grabber AT2 drivers that are few years old but w/ very little tread wear, steers are some generic 265/75 highway ribs that have the same age and mileage as the Grabbers but are worn down to half tread. I'm inclined to suspect the steers are the culprit since they're both too wide for the wheels they're on and they're worn down way more that the rear tires... Below 65mph I can feel absolutely nothing, truck rides as smooth as a old Lincoln luxobarge.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those tires are TERRIBLE. my boss had them on his chevy tahoe and he would easily slide in just wet roads. i couldn't even imagine what snow would be like.

what kind of budget are you working with if you don't mind me asking?

That's funny....they got pretty good reviews at tirerack.com but who knows how accurate that is.

I've run Jetzon tires for years and have been rather happy with them. I had a set of Jetzon Revenger tires that worked out good. When they wore out, I bought the Revenger A/T after having a little off-road traction problems with the Revengers. The Revenger A/T's were noisier going down the highway than the Revengers but not untolerable. Actually the off-road trouble I had was from very tall, wet field grass and going up hill......a very slippery condition that probably would have stopped any 2wd truck. I need a year round tire that does well in the snow but I don't want to hear them howling while going down the road. South Jersey can have winters with no snow or we can get hit hard with snow. My job is a 24/7 operation and I have to be able to get to work.....somebody doesn't get to go home until I show up.

What do I want to spend? Well let me put it this way......I was given the van. As received it was worth about $300 that the scrap guy will give you and hall it away. It did not run, been sitting for a year, had major fuel leaks (leaking more fuel than it was injecting), major rust problems, 322000 miles on what looks like the original engine, and lots of small problems. A lot of work and about $700 later it runs very good, starts well, and I really really like the IDI. It was my daily driver all summer (gotta fix the HVAC so I can drive it all winter) and I put about 6000 miles on it. It gets great mileage for a one ton truck. Why did I put so much effort into a high mileage beat-up van.....I really needed a tow vehicle, I needed something that did good in the snow (my previous van did great in the snow), and it was free. My other "truck" is a Ranger....it won't pull its way out of a wet paper bag and a motorcycle with bald tires does better in the snow. I really dislike the Ranger but that's another story. So as such I don't want to spend a ton of money on tires. I'm sure I can sell the van for what I got into it but spending a bunch of money on tires will put me over the break-even point. The drive train probably has a good amount of miles left to give but chances are good the rust will render the van undriveable before I wear out the tires. If I get 2 -3 years out of it before the rust takes it toll, I'll be happy.

I'd gladly buy a set of used tires but too much overtime leaves me with no time to go used tire shopping. And I haven't seen any on craigslist.

FYI...I want 235/85/16. And I mount and balance my own tires so i don't have to pay for that.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the General's and Conti's (same company) are known to be "belt slippers". Every time a customer would come in with a vibration at highway speeds I would look at the tires. I got really good finding which tire was the problem and then selling the customer a full set ;Sweet

Same with a few BFGs, and any generic named tire. Selling tires was easy :rotflmao
Thanks for the heads up. I will have to keep an eye on them as they wear down.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i rock some Michelin LTX on all four corners in 235/85 r16. They cost me about 1100 mounted and balanced. but they have great siping and they are quiet. They are 80k tires which means they will probably last for 100k for me. i'm pretty easy on tires and always do rotations check my pressures.

i have the old one tire fire but a simple airing down of the tires and i am good to go in the snow.

if you are frequently off road or a farm truck i would pass on them because at low speeds the tread fills up with mud pretty quickly.

heff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we have rugged trail t/a extra load tires on our jeep liberty that the woman drives. they're wearing evenly, they're more quiet than the junk goodyear wrangler sr/a that were on there.
they do well in snow/slush. and they actually do good in muddy mountain trails, for being more of an a/t tire. of course i rotate them, and i make sure they're properly inflated.
we also use the jeep to tow a boat and they don't do anything with the boat behind the jeepster.
i'd recommend them.