Better Transmission Cooling Idea

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm running a Mag Hitech trans pan. It hold an extra 2 gallons of tran fluid. My BTS E4OD never gets past 190 degrees. I don't use the radiator cooling loop either. Just a 28,000 lb tube cooler in front of the ac condenser. It will be expensive when I change the fluid....

This is the same setup my brother has on a first gen Cummins with the 518 auto. It never even thinks about getting hot no matter how hard it is worked within reason.

Imo this setup is all you would ever need for an IDI and then some ;Sweet

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
It would fill the transmission above the level of the valve body... When the various valves open there would be fluid on the other side (where there would normally not be fluid)

If you've ever overfilled a transmission you will notice it shifts very funky, I've been told this happens because the valve body is "flooded" meaning it is submerged in places it's supposed to be dry. When the valves open the fluid can not escape quickly enough and it causes slippage.

The valve body (accumulator body) is already swimming in the fluid. Fluid level wont affect it.

The reason a transmission gets funky when over filled is foam. Tranny fluid will foam because its being whipped up by the rotating (gear train) part of the tranny.

Revelstoke

Reaction score
TCI

I overheated my C-6 a month ago. I ordered the TCI core with thermostat and fan. I have also ordered the TCI pan. It's 2 quarts oversized, and it has cooling fins. I'll be mounting the guage, so I have to drill and tap it. I'll install 3/8" lines. At least I'll have an eye on the temps now, as I did not in the past. At the very least, I'd recommend a guage. I also like the fact my new resevoir pan will have a drain plug. I cannot image why there is not one now. I have had people suggest synthetic tranny fluid, or some sort of fortifyer too, but I need to do more research before I switch to that. I'm going to a built, E4OD in the next couple of years, so I'll couple that with my cooling modifications and probably at a spin on filter too.

LASVEGAS7.3IDI

LASVEGAS7.3IDI
Reaction score
i took an 86 f250 ac condenser had it cleaned press. checked and put in truck as my trans cooler works like a dream espically during summer time when its 120F outside

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering would some type of small fan assist with cooling issues. I saw one mounted on the underside of a transmission pan installed on an off road 4 X 4 on Powerblock on TV. Any suggestions, it gets hot here in southwest Texas in the summer and heat seems to affect performance of my E4OD in my Truck.

1990 F-350 SRW CC 7.3L IDI NA 8 ft bed 4.10 gears.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Im in SoCal, but might take my truck to colder climates, you guys dont have problems withe the trans fluid getting too cold?

Depends on what you call to cold.:D Anything below 20 degrees with no thermal or pressure control on the cooler can cause damage. Basically a bypass valve to shut off the cooler until the desired temp is reached. TruCool offers a thermal bypass valve for their stuff. Ford 4R100 uses a pressure bypass valve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online