Best place to return oil?

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be adding a bypass filter and oil cooler. Both will be run on seperate circuits but I'm trying to find the best place to return both. They will be fed off the 1/8 npt plugs on the block but I know the power strokes have a 3/8 plug that has no pressure a lot of people use as a return, do we have any similar plugs on our blocks? If not I'm simply planning to make a fitting to dump it into the oil fill cap. Both systems can share a return I'll install a T so they both use it

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Where to return oil? when I was in Iraq as a civilian contractor, I wanted to dump our used oil into a sinkhole that opened up beside our shop, but wasn't allowed to do that. I thought it was recycling. Others didn't seem to see it that way so I guess I don't really know where to return oil. OOPS! Not what you were talking about. Sorry.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plan your bypass but save doing an oil cooler.It wont have enough effect like your planning to make the money spent worthwhile.
You know you can go an easy 9k miles between oil changes with synthetic right? This is what I'm doing.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some plugs at each end of the heads that go into the oil drain galleries, I believe?

The bigger ones are for coolant, but I'm pretty sure there are some around 3/8" with hex set screws in them.

If you end up pulling the oil pan for any reason, I'd look into welding a nice big port on one side for a drain back.

You could also do the same thing with one of the valve covers - just install a port into the top, and drain all the oil into there. It'll drain down into the block from there.
This would also be one of the best options if you decided to go with a centrifuge filter, like this one - the key to not having to spend money on a tiny air compressor is to have a nice open drain on the centrifuge.
See this Project 300 page for more info: http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1006dp-engine-oil-centrifuge-project-300/

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you are running an electric fuel pump. I would just drill and tap your original mechanical pump block off plate with a fitting to do your return there.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about that but I am still running the factory lift pump, running w85 and wmo I'm worried about killing an electric pump. But I found my answer a 7.3 and 6.0 power stroke use the same oil fill cap and they make a billet one for the 6.0 with a swivel fitting. I'll use it to return my oil cooler and bypass oil

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
After looking at my heads today while porting them, Macrobb's right those plugs do go right into the oil drain back holes in the heads. I'm sure it would not be fun to try to get those plugs out though.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would you run that filter linked? Do you need an onboard compressor?
After researching these filters, the air is only for drainback - there has to be an air gap at the bottom of the unit for the oil jets inside to spin the rotor. The air pump lets you drain "under pressure" uphill, like on Project 300. As long as you have a nice, large opening at the bottom for oil to drain from(1" or better), you won't need air.

Using the oil pressure to drive it, however, presents another problem - you need decent psi. 11 psi at hot idle won't cut it; i think that filter requires a minimum 27 psi to operate.
Hopefully you are running an electric fuel pump. I would just drill and tap your original mechanical pump block off plate with a fitting to do your return there.
I personally don't trust electric pumps after a nice duralift failed and blocked off the fuel. Not just let the ip pull it, blocked it off and left me stranded. The mechanical pumps will "flow through" as will some (generally cheaper) electric pumps.
I've had at least one catastrophic mechanical pump failure(Leaking a lot), but it didn't stop me in the iddle of the road.
After looking at my heads today while porting them, Macrobb's right those plugs do go right into the oil drain back holes in the heads. I'm sure it would not be fun to try to get those plugs out though.
Harbor freight allen to 3/8 square drive adaptor is what I'd use. (On mine, those plugs are allen headed)

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the plug on the head for my bypass setup. Works good!

Where exactly are these ports? Can you just give a general idea of the location of them, I'm familiar with the coolant plugs but not the ones you speak of

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where exactly are these ports? Can you just give a general idea of the location of them, I'm familiar with the coolant plugs but not the ones you speak of

on the face of the head, where the accessories mount to

You must be registered for see images attach