Best place to buy parts?

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Well my brothers 6.9 has been dead for about 4 months now with either a burnt valve or hole in the piston. I need to know were to get parts at the best prices?

Andy

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. She still runs but has a real bad wolf and whiteish blue smoke coming out the stacks all the time that is why I think it is the heads.

Andy

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. She still runs but has a real bad wolf and whiteish blue smoke coming out the stacks all the time that is why I think it is the heads.

Andy

Sounds like a valve and/or guides. Try listening with a stethoscope or screwdriver to determine which side is the culprit. That'll give you a starting point. If it's a valve/head problem and not piston, rings, etc., I would do both at the same time. If time and money are determining factors, you may choose to only do one. But who's to say when the other will fail?

If you have a competent machine shop near by, particulalry one that does diesel work, they can do the guides, valves, seats, etc. I also got head bolts from NAPA. Remember one "set" only does one head when buying from them. And I ordered gaskets from Northern Automotive. A little more expensive, but it's all Fel-Pro, which is what I prefer. Just the gaskets and valley pan, which is not included in the gasket kit, will set you back $125-$150. Not cheap.

Tom

Last edited:

pafixitman

Reaction score
I also got head bolts from NAPA. Remember one "set" only does one head when buying from them. And I ordered gaskets from Northern Automotive. A little more expensive, but it's all Fel-Pro, which is what I prefer. Just the gaskets and valley pan, which is not included in the gasket kit, will set you back $125-$150. Not cheap.

Tom

Yep! I asked the manager 4 times to get me what I needed for two heads. Went back two days later for the second set.cookoo He cut me a break for my trouble though.

Rock auto has Fel Pro. I went w/ sealed power push rods and lifters, Fel Pro gaskets. BTW The valley pan from IH in SC was $104. Made $64 this time seem like a bargain!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
If you are going to have machine work done, check with the machine shop as well. When I moved from parts store to a machine shop, we still bought from the same supplier, only the parts store marked everything up 50% and the machine shop about 15%. Not to mention, we gave customers a break who bought both when I went there, refused to do work unless they bought parts from us when I left! We had more work than we could handle because the shop was VERY good, before, during and after I was there, they just do great work at a very reasonable price, so check with the machine shop you will use to do the heads. Tell them what you are doing and that you would like to give them all your business, parts and labor and see what they can do. Most will also cut you a deal for cash, but I will not go into that here...:)

Seekers

Reaction score
Also is someone knows were short bed, step side, 1/2ton is I'm looking for one.

I've had great luck using this http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ks
click on the city closest to you and use their search feature or search anywhere in the state or country.

You can also list things to sell with pictures FOR FREE!! :D I have no idea how they make money but I've sold trucks, riding lawnmower, parts and lots more for free! It's World wide!;Sweet

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm trying to talk him out of the truck since it is just sitting and he bought a Ranger but have not been able to yet. If I get it I'm goning through the whole thing.

Andy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online