best mechanical lift up.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
best mechanical lift pump.

I would like to replace the lift pump on my truck for two reasons. First, I slightly suspect it of making my elusive tick noise. Second, I have no idea how old it is, so it would seem smart to just put a new one on there.

I was looking at a Napa brand lift pump, and another pump that they carry, I think it was a bosch? Either of those any good?

My truck has a stock IP that is still at the factory setting, even with my turbo.

Let me know which pump you guys think is the best!

PZ

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick any lift pump you desire, Carter brand is usually the OEM. I know there is a whole bunch of electrical pumps guys change over to, From Holleys Red, Blue, Facet, Carrier, and others. But the mechanical that runs off the cam lasts a long time and they are cheap.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one from Napa I think about 4 years ago and it's still working. I pulled the original off because it was leaking out the weep hole. The original was a Carter. If your not having problems with it why replace it?. If you do replace it though hold onto the one you pull off as a spare. A new one could last a long time or it could go out right away.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pick any lift pump you desire, Carter brand is usually the OEM. I know there is a whole bunch of electrical pumps guys change over to, From Holleys Red, Blue, Facet, Carrier, and others. But the mechanical that runs off the cam lasts a long time and they are cheap.

I concur...23 years and 195,000 miles, and I'm on mechanical lift-pump #2 > and that's including the original ;Sweet

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your not having problems with it why replace it?.

Seriously? It's called preventative maint. He has no idea how old it is and could be original. It's best to change it now when it's convenient than later when you stranded along the highway.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

Carter is good! Airtex from advance SUCKS.

Went through 3 of the airtex pumps in a month. First one truck was still running but had a hard start and i found i was getting fuel in the oil. 2nd one leaking out weep hole. 3rd one left me on the side of the road and i walked back to the stop to get the origional 25 year old pump and its still on the truck...

I had taken it off for an electric pump but i damaged my duralift pump so i stuck a new advance pump on since it was only 15 or so dollars...

******* pos.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Seriously? It's called preventative maint. He has no idea how old it is and could be original. It's best to change it now when it's convenient than later when you stranded along the highway.

This

And I guess I will be picking up a new LP from Napa tomorrow.
Thanks Gents! :cool

PZ

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carter is good! Airtex from advance SUCKS.

Went through 3 of the airtex pumps in a month. First one truck was still running but had a hard start and i found i was getting fuel in the oil. 2nd one leaking out weep hole. 3rd one left me on the side of the road and i walked back to the stop to get the origional 25 year old pump and its still on the truck...
Did you pay attention where your Airtex pumps were made? I have an Airtex pump on my truck, put it on back in 2009, have about 10k miles on it so far. Tis made in USA, least that's what the box said. Got it from AutoZone IIRC.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Did you pay attention where your Airtex pumps were made? I have an Airtex pump on my truck, put it on back in 2009, have about 10k miles on it so far. Tis made in USA, least that's what the box said. Got it from AutoZone IIRC.

Yes i did, first one said mexico, 2nd one was vietnam, 3rd one was india. Arm broke off inside the crankcase but it did make it about 6 months...