Best IDI

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Not trying to start a war. What year is the most dependable IDI truck?
Including entire drivetrain?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I'm with EZ. The keyword in your question is "dependable". They are ALL dependable, which is why we like them so much. What affects dependability is mostly the owner. If you have an original truck, like 1 of my 3 are, and you've maintained it, it's 100% dependable. That dependability dropped to 99% for a short time on the Moose Truck, when I ignored the warning signs that my tank selector valve was going out. First time it let me sit. The 7.3 ZF combo has the cavitation and DMF problems. Both of which can be dealt with with preventative care. The only thing you can do to prevent a DMF problem, is to replace it at some service interval. 6.9's are likely to need a set of headgaskets at some point. If you preventatively replace them when they get to leaking, then you won't have any surprises. Oil changes and quality parts are the two necessities. Folks who don't atone with the full measure of diligence will have undependable trucks, and I don't care what brand they drive. So what your really asking for I think, is what YEAR of IDI is the least susceptible to problems. My vote would be for a 1987 6.9 with a C6 automatic. No clutch issues, no glow plug issues, no cooling issues, no trans issues, no cavitation. Just an ugly truck that keeps on running, screaming it's head off with high RPM's. LOL

Blackwaterforge

Reaction score
Thank you for your input! I had a 1995 Powerstroke 5-speed. I am familiar with cavitation issues and DMF issues. The 1995 was faithful for 390000 miles.
The guy who has it now is at 450000. His mechanic told him the milage was wrong because the engine was to strong to have that many miles on it. I now have a 2005 F-450 6.0 6-speed 4x4. It is less dependable and can not be worked on at local shop. It is also expensive to maintain (filters $$$$$$$)
I am considering selling the F-450 and purchasing a F-350 CC 4x4 5-speed IDI diesel. I was wondering witch years were the most trouble free. I am leaning toward a 92-94.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The firewall crack and sticking throw out bearing on the standard transmissions can be a real pain in the ass. And from what I gather around here, DMFs and cavitation can be expensive. Early 6.9s had the block heater crack.

I'm with Mel. Late 6.9 with a C6.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
if you're talking dependable beater i'd say an 86-87 F350 6.9 with a T-19 or a C6 because they are the simplest and don't have many cavitation problems and the 4x4s have solid front axles. E4OD and ZF5 trannies are less durable but more comfort oriented. but like Mel said they all are as dependable as maintenace allows.

sassyrel

Reaction score
my fav---the one i own--94 turbo--factory--crank up the blower--the pump--and bigger ats turbo parts---goes like scat-----the only issue--cavitation---luck has it---mine wasnt known history--so i put the additive in immed--no problems---whewwww!!!!!!! auto or 5 spd---???? i overhaul autos so no biggy---

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726