Best front and rear axle talk

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
83-84 All of the SRW diesel and 460 trucks came with a 70U, 85-6 they're still out there, but they introduced the Sterling in 85 and phased out the 70.

Goofy, what year is your Dad's Dodge? The majority of them are 70U's, not HD's, just curious.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Dana 60 for my truck some time here soon
king pin or non king pin version?

but i don't know what's the best rear axle
i'm thinking something that is posi or limited slip ?
what's a model to look for dana 70 60 80 or ?

For the front I prefer the king pin axles, but either are great and a HUGE improvement over the TTB's in strength and reliability. I would go for whichever is cheapest honestly.

For the rear I like the 14bolt axles used in GM 3/4 and 1ton trucks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.5"_Corporate_14_Bolt_Differential They are a dime a dozen and incredibly strong. If my Sterling ever gives up that's what I'm planning on swapping in. Sterling, Dana 70, 80 or 14 Bolt--either one will do everything you would ever need it to ;Sweet The limited slips in the Dana 70's and 80's are pretty stout, but the factory limited slips in the GM and Ford Corp axles are known to be somewhat weak. If you are thinking aftermarket the Detroit Tru-trac is probably the best limited slip out there.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I converted my '87 sterling axle to a '93+ long pinion with a shim kit and the thicker psd yoke. Comparing The D60 (rear) to a 10.25 Sterling by eye, the D60 bearings are smaller, axle shafts a bit narrower, and of course to check your brakes, you're pulling the whole hub. A '93+ sterling with a shim kit would be a good choice. (Dragrag recently experienced why the '92 and older sterlings can cause you problems.)

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
A solid axle D50(99-04) from a SD has a different spring width than the 80-97 truck require. But if you go to a 05-07 Sd axle you can get Coil springs for a better ride, a better turning radius and better braking from bigger rotors and 4 wheel disc brakes;Sweet

I am highly considering using 07 axles in my 86 and I already have matching D60/10.25 axles a springs and a RSK ready to go in my truck. The draw backs are a minimum of a 17" wheel and the 8 on 170mm bolt pattern

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
Diesel_brad

after looking around more i could see the newer axles as a added benefit for metric pattern cause there's alot more 17's around it seems like i would of really paid some $$ if i didn't find good deal on my tires

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
Diesel_brad

after looking around more i could see the newer axles as a added benefit for metric pattern cause there's alot more 17's around it seems like i would of really paid some $$ if i didn't find good deal on my tires