Best front and rear axle talk

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
I've read alot and i'm dead set on getting a Dana 60 for my truck some time here soon
king pin or non king pin version?

but i don't know what's the best rear axle
i'm thinking something that is posi or limited slip ?
what's a model to look for dana 70 60 80 or ?

I'd love to learn more because I really don't have a whole lot of knowledge on axle's.
thanks linkfarms

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I will tell ya what I'm going to do....

Dana 50 solid axle. Call me crazy but here it goes.

While everyone and their mother tries to scrounge the earth of Solid Dana 60 front axles, jacking the prices way high, many people forget that some 99-03 Superduty's came stock with dana 50 solid front axles.

Dont know how strong they are, but my buddies E99 F350 CC LB SRW 4x4 powerstroke has a solid Dana 50.

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
I will tell ya what I'm going to do....

Dana 50 solid axle. Call me crazy but here it goes.

While everyone and their mother tries to scrounge the earth of Solid Dana 60 front axles, jacking the prices way high, many people forget that some 99-03 Superduty's came stock with dana 50 solid front axles.

Dont know how strong they are, but my buddies E99 F350 CC LB SRW 4x4 powerstroke has a solid Dana 50.

you guys dont need D60's anyways, save them for us Offroad guys that really use em:D

the D50 is between a 44 and 60, closer to 44 strength. 9" ring gear, 44 sized shafts with 1350 u-joints for the wheeljoints.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
There'd be more 60's floatin around if guys wouldn't use em on their pavement princesses.....be a real man and use a D30 ha ha ha

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a super duty D50, especially considering the majority of those who post here are running pavemet pounders.
Nice brake upgrade too, but, you're stuck with 8x170MM, so it's redrill the hubs and rotors, or swap in the matching rear also.
The solid 50 doesn't have 1350 joints like the D50 TTB, everything is D60 stuff except it necks down to 44 sized 30 spline at the diff, wheel joints and stubs are 60 stuff.

Personally, I'd grab a balljoint 60 out of a 95-97, bigger brakes than the older stuff, bolt on calipers, and it's still a bolt in swap, a super duty axle has the diff even further to the drivers side of the truck and if memory serves, wider spring perches.

As for the rear, there is absolutley NOTHING wrong with the sterling that already exists in the back end of these trucks, just need to add the traction aid of your choice.

Last edited:

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
fordguy100 i'll look into a dana 50 solid axle
i've heard something about different mounting for super duty axles

nmb2 i'll go serious off roading as long as i don't scratch my paint or knock anymore rust off LoL

DragRag

Reaction score
He's asking about the rear guys......

I have learned the hard way that crush sleeves in the Sterlings are crap and can cause issues under heavy load. I have a Dana 70 H.D. under the back of mine now. I have a dually though, I don't know if they made that is a single rear. There are plenty of Dana 60's out there for single rear trucks trucks from the mid 80's. Go for a 60 front and back on a single rear truck, scrounge for a 70 H.D. for a dually.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 60 rear is very light duty compared to the Sterling. I wouldn't swap in a lighter duty axle, besides being weaker in the ring and pinion department, they have smaller wheel bearings and inboard drums... Replace the crush sleeve in the Sterling with a shim kit if that is an issue for you and forget about it, if memory serves the kit that works for a 9" fits the 10.25..
Besides, I think I've only ever seen one, maybe 2 full float 60's in an 80-86 truck, where as pretty much every 3/4 or 1 ton built after 85 has the Sterling under it. Also, full float truck 60's of this era were for the most part still a 30 spline axle in the rear, not a 35. All in all if it was a good idea Ford wouldn't have stuck 35 spline 70U's under the back of the 83-86 460 and diesel trucks that didn't get the Sterling.

DragRag

Reaction score
So, was the 70 available on the single rear trucks or just the duallies? For sure the 70' is bigger and better, I just wasn't sure if they made it for single rear trucks. I didn't know anyone made a shim kit that replaced the crush sleeve on the sterling rear ends.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
He's asking about the rear guys......

I have learned the hard way that crush sleeves in the Sterlings are crap and can cause issues under heavy load. I have a Dana 70 H.D. under the back of mine now. I have a dually though, I don't know if they made that is a single rear. There are plenty of Dana 60's out there for single rear trucks trucks from the mid 80's. Go for a 60 front and back on a single rear truck, scrounge for a 70 H.D. for a dually.

Dad's dodge has a 70 HD SRW....:dunno

I think the axles under the trucks we have...D60's and 10.25's are PLENTY tough!!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So, was the 70 available on the single rear trucks or just the duallies? For sure the 70' is bigger and better, I just wasn't sure if they made it for single rear trucks. I didn't know anyone made a shim kit that replaced the crush sleeve on the sterling rear ends.

My truck, to the best of my knowledge, is a Dana 70 rear.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Stuff an 80 out of a super duty in the back and never worry bout too much weight again. lol

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, all the diesels with a SRW Dana rear end had a 70. Mine being originally a gasser, came with a 60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online

No members online now.