Best coolant and oil?

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to drop my 1994 7.3 factory turbo into my bullnose. I have heard about the cavitation and such so I am wondering which coolant is the best? Also which oil do you guys recommend engine has around 160,000 miles. Kind of a stupid question but hey why not :dunno

Also anything else I should check before I drop it in? Will also be doing a fuel filter

Thank you!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Check to see if anyone installed a cork oil pan gasket.. If they did remove it now and clean it off. Then use RTV to seal the pan to the block. Plenty has been posted about this. The factory NEVER used a pan gasket so why are some doing it.. Probably because some gasket maker gets a few bucks for including another gasket in a kit. You will never get the pan off with the engine inframe because of the oil pump suction head. Its about 1/8 inch off the bottom of the deep sump. Don't feel thats right. Drain the oil and stick a screwdriver up the drain hole. Feeling is believing...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the oil cooler has never had the o'rings change them now. Messy job when engine is in frame.

Did you do anything to the engine, like a rebuild?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best oil...inho...Amsoil
Best coolant...about to find out...but apparently Evans Waterless coolant

X2 redo oil cooler NOW!!

HOW DO FRONT AND REAR SEALS APPEAR? Wet if so replace them too.

Valve cover gaskets?? What about thermostat and block heater...

Just a few things easier now an later...

Petcocks in place of block plugs too to thoroughly drain block when doing flushes etc

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best oil...inho...Amsoil
Best coolant...about to find out...but apparently Evans Waterless coolant

X2 redo oil cooler NOW!!

HOW DO FRONT AND REAR SEALS APPEAR? Wet if so replace them too.

Valve cover gaskets?? What about thermostat and block heater...

Just a few things easier now an later...

Petcocks in place of block plugs too to thoroughly drain block when doing flushes etc

No more flushes after EVANS that stuff wont corrode the system, but a filter would be nice

to rid of any contaminate you will have.

I have had both of those products for many years now.

I agree that them two products are one of the best options to choose then and today. :rotflmao

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well between two US gallons of coolant landed here for my six wheeler I should know soon enough if it helps stabalize and effectively cool my machine...if so then count on more for the truck.....in time!

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hardest part when learning the curve with EVANS, when you push the truck while towing after a good hour on the road at steady speed like 70 mph pulling a 24 enclosed @ 7,000lbs

That Temp gauge will slowly creep all the way on over to the right, The hardest part is not stopping to look and see what the hell is wrong.

Because you wont find any boiling over or any issue, when you get back on the road you realize the Temp Gauge is in the normal range again. :rotflmao

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like some, mine didn't like Rotella, more/worse leaks etc. Swapped to Delo helped things, so staying with it for now.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo and 15w40 oil is fine.even the Wal-Mart. Oil is exceptionally good.some people say shellburns faster.mine drinks any synthetic like its free.we dont use long life coolants where i work.just had bad luck with it. I can't comment on the evans

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine needs glow plugs but those I can do while its in. It has a new oil pan and the previous owner did use RTV. But it appears to have a tiny leak from the drain bolt. I will post pictures of where spots seam to be wet before I degrease it. This truck won't be towing on the daily. Just on occasion when my friends ricers break down haha. It's more of a toy since I'm restoring it in memory of my grandfather. It will not be seeing salty roads either lol.

And riotwarrior let me know how that stuff works please! Should be going running in a couple weeks hopefully just waiting on flex plate and down pipe. Also I've used that mobile Delvac in my old 6.9 it got the job done. Would you guys recommend synthetic? Thank you!