7.3 idi oil pressure and coolant temp

Nevills123

Reaction score
Hi I’m new with owning a diesel (1990 F250 7.3 idi) and I was wondering how to hook a aftermarket oil pressure and a coolant temp gauge up on it . Is it easy or a decent job. An how to do it. Thank you

Attachments

• 3CA76D84-F6B3-4B2C-991D-A0EDF3E9E600.jpeg
    3CA76D84-F6B3-4B2C-991D-A0EDF3E9E600.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 6

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Recently just did one on both mine and my dad's truck. I used a tee on the factory oil pressure sender location, behind the glow plug controller, so I still had the stock sender plus a second gauge. I also then pulled the pipe plug on the driver's side cylinder head that's near the firewall, between the valve cover and exhaust manifold for a coolant temp sensor. Both working just fine. I also used the pillar gauge kit from Glowshift

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished hooking mine up yesterday. The stock oil pressure sender is in a tough spot at the back of the engine, but the temp sender is easy to get to. I just unscrewed the old senders and screwed the new ones in, then ran my wires inside the cab. Be careful because coolant will come gushing out when you unscrew the temp sender. I found an existing hole in the firewall that I could run my wires through, below the brake booster where all the other wires seem to pass through. I used a 3 gauge cluster that I mounted right next to the “wait to start” light where that little cubby is. I got my “key-on” power and dash illumination wires from the radio harness, just pull out your radio and the wires are right there. Overall not a bad job at all.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'm looking to do the same to my 1988 F350. I'd like to add a temp sensor to the ZF5 transmission but I don't know if that is possible.
Drain plug perhaps?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the ZF-5 have the PTO plate on the side?
Drill and tap there for the temp sensor.

In this thread post# 19 is a picture where the guy
taped into the side plate for a temp sensor.

Goat