Best Clutch Bleeding Tool?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the master is pumping, then push the pedal to the floor and hold it there for a couple minutes, slowly let it up, sit a bit then do it over and over till its bled, it takes some time for the air to rise up to the master , if you pump fast the air just moves back and forth in the system.
I have done this many time with great success.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thanks Russ for the idea!
I looked under the dash to see if the master was recieving the entire thrust of the shaft and it wasnt. Someone at some point put a heim joint on the master shaft and the bushing attaching it to the clutch pedal pin was gone and the pin was worn about half way through. I fixed the pin, welded it up and made it like new, better than new actually. I hardened the pin after I had it all welded up and welded to the arm.
The clutch works so frickin nice now! Also fixed something else but check the brown truck thread for that update!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Make sure the master is pumping, then push the pedal to the floor and hold it there for a couple minutes, slowly let it up, sit a bit then do it over and over till its bled, it takes some time for the air to rise up to the master , if you pump fast the air just moves back and forth in the system.
I have done this many time with great success.

That's exactly how my ex-ford service manager buddy does them. We were doing firewall kits every night there for a while 10 years or so ago, we must have put 1000 of them and half that many clutch master cylinders in and even though it took a while, it was quicker than fighting them otherwise. He had some expensive bleeding equipment too! I forgot all about doing them that way, thanks for reminding me!

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bleeder in the first post is a copy of a phoenix bleeder. I've had one for several years now and it gets broken out for imports only now.