Best batteries to use?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Blems are actually different than the Economy batteries. I've gotten a blem also, but they are more than Economys.

Ah, makes sense.
The blems I looked at were all black like you described, but roughly $40-80 or so.
I walked in and asked about blems and that's what they pointed out.
He also talked of a agm battery. About group 31 size. Around $120 a piece, which will be what I end up getting.
But for now my problem was the damn connections. Tight as can be, but the passenger positive keeps getting corroded. I can tell because when it's real cold out, it'll only crank about 10-15 seconds, then it's turning too slow. Loosen the connection and wiggle it, then it spins way faster and starts right up.
That's on the psd.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I've gotten lucky with batteries...my truck had Costco batteries in her when I inherited her in 2001. I replaced them in January 2002 trying to figure out a starting problem (turned out to be the starter)...I got Interstates from a CarQuest. I'm getting enough corrosion out of the driver's side battery that I suspect that its days are numbered, but otherwise, they're still going strong 13 years later :shocked:

Here's a related question...from a CCA and reliabliity/longevity standpoint, if space wasn't an issue i.e. if you were considering relocating the batteries out of the engine compartment, what size batteries would you run?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I've gotten lucky with batteries...my truck had Costco batteries in her when I inherited her in 2001. I replaced them in January 2002 trying to figure out a starting problem (turned out to be the starter)...I got Interstates from a CarQuest. I'm getting enough corrosion out of the driver's side battery that I suspect that its days are numbered, but otherwise, they're still going strong 13 years later :shocked:

Here's a related question...from a CCA and reliabliity/longevity standpoint, if space wasn't an issue i.e. if you were considering relocating the batteries out of the engine compartment, what size batteries would you run?

My two experiences with Interstate were both bad. I've been buying Walmart batteries for years with pretty good luck. I just spent 102 bucks a piece for Walmart batteries for my 89 and then saw batteries at Costco a few days later for 90 bucks a piece but I've not had any experience with those.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Group 31s. They've got plenty of CCA and they're readily available at any truck stop.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, makes sense.
The blems I looked at were all black like you described, but roughly $40-80 or so.
I walked in and asked about blems and that's what they pointed out.
He also talked of a agm battery. About group 31 size. Around $120 a piece, which will be what I end up getting.
But for now my problem was the damn connections. Tight as can be, but the passenger positive keeps getting corroded. I can tell because when it's real cold out, it'll only crank about 10-15 seconds, then it's turning too slow. Loosen the connection and wiggle it, then it spins way faster and starts right up.
That's on the psd.

My PSD Loves to corrode the drivers side positive post. When I changed the batteries, I took a couple of hours, literally, digging all the corrosion out of the stamped connector (wish they still used the lead connectors). After I cleaned it up, and installed the new batteries, I sprayed the posts and connectors with clear spray paint, and I've not had a problem since.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score

If physical dimensions (and cost) were not a concern for me it would be a tossup between group 31 and 8d. Group 31 is readily available anywhere. 8d has ridiculous overkill cca and reserve but they are not stocked at <every auto parts and truck store>. I like overkill, it gives me a large margin for things to happen and not be stuck. On that note I'd love to have a cable start/stop on the pump and a manual trans, it gives that much more certainty that where there's a will there's a way and it will run. Anyhow, with 5+ year old tiny mismatched batteries and old falling apart cables mine started well enough down to high single digits, as it approached zero I got into no start issues. I don't expect any issues this winter with groups 31s and new cables.

If you're on the north slope or uninhabitable northern Canada where one mishap could kill you perhaps something larger would be worth the added cost and work, but realistically for these engines and typical use of the trucks I think a pair of group 31s is ideal in that it's an easy swap and gives a bit of margin above what is required.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My PSD Loves to corrode the drivers side positive post. When I changed the batteries, I took a couple of hours, literally, digging all the corrosion out of the stamped connector (wish they still used the lead connectors). After I cleaned it up, and installed the new batteries, I sprayed the posts and connectors with clear spray paint, and I've not had a problem since.

Mine has the lead connectors.
Think I may try some of that terminal spray stuff.

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Ran over to the interstate all batteries center in Bozeman today... more of a kiosk than a center really. The teenager running the place took way too long to find the batteries for my f250 in his book 160$ a piece and they only had ONE! I asked about blemished batteries and economy batteries and he was clueless. I'll call over to interstate in billings monday and see what they say. COSTCO says 90$ for an 800cca battery so I might give them a shot this go around. Good thread for this time of year.
Marmot

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
^^^That.

FWIW I have always had good luck with Die Hards. They last stupid long, I get minimally 6 years out of them. The one I had in my '69 F250 finally went after over 10 years.
I get the Gold for my diesels.

Like mentioned, my favorite off the shelf factory size is the Diehard AGM especially with their amp
ratings for my diesels, although I have always got the Platinums over the Gold. To be fair though, I have always had good luck with my batteries regardless whether they were factory, autozone, or otherwise.

I also got really lucky when I bought them last Christmas as I not only got them on sale but Discover was aldo running a special of getting 10% cashback on sears purchase as well
as $50 rebate, so it worked out really well for me in that case and took the sting out of their price.

Last edited: