berus dead in 6 months

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all 8 berus dead in 6 months truck run vey little in this time frame system was checked over when changed new controller was installed at same time power goes off when it was suppose to any ideas?
cookoo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just have to ask..... Where did you buy the berus from... did they come in a sealed bag that has motorcraft beru printed on it.... If they came in a box or bag without any identifying markings then I'm thinking you got "something other than beru.... But you paid for beru... Hope I'm wrong feeling like this seeing you installed everything new for this setup....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It must be a bad controller.... No other reason for then to fail unles they are sub standard and made poorly... I don't think thats going to happen so its back to the controller.... How are you determining that all 8 are bad. You might just be having a power supply problem... The main wireing harness plug from the fender to the engine plug gets dirty. Then resistance builds up along with heat... then the plastic plug melts..... Now no power gets to the controller.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easy to test the plugs in the motor, continuity tester...

out of the motor... have the plug tip or body touch negative while positive touches the top where the connector normally goes for ONLY A SECOND if it feels warm its good. if you go any longer then a second you'll get seared and it aint my fault (learn to count :rotflmao)

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my berus in my truck are all original from 1993 lol still start on a dime in single digits

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check with test light to battery controller is only 6 months old too bought from international dealer

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they don't glow with a test light they are dead. Usually the solid state controller doesn't kill glow plugs like that. You could have very advanced timing or maybe something got hooked up wrong when you installed the new controller.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine still be running great and i've had em about a year... sucks to hear yours poofed :mad:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my berus in my truck are all original from 1993 lol still start on a dime in single digits

I hate you - some of mine just died, I will be measuring them up tomorrow with the DVM and see what ohms I get - what was the good resistance value, under 2 ohms with the plug in the cold engine?

sassyrel

Reaction score
overly advanced pump timing will contribute to the early demise of glowplugs.

yep,,me know--happened over 6 years ago,when was trying to squeeze the last hp out of my 94----it ran hard,,but gps on a turbo aint fun!!!!!!

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be a timing issue controller is fairly simple change out don't think I could have screwed that up. Now to find an outfit that can check timing in my little ole neck of the woods

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
overly advanced pump timing will contribute to the early demise of glowplugs.
Mine don't get eaten away at the tips tho, they simply stop working one day. Not all of them either, and IIRC never the same cylinders.

Last edited: