bench testing the IP

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be removing the ip to get the heads off( Do I really need to???)
if its off is there a way to bench test it?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injectors screw in the heads, IP lines screw onto injectors, so yeah, removing the IP with the lines would probably make your work a whole lot easier. remember to only remove the IP and its lines, but leave the IP gear housing in place, else you'll be having a hard time lining everything back up. About bench-testing - nope, not really, unless you have a diesel shop with a test machine for DB2 pumps. Mel once posted a pic of one such beast, and it looked pretty scary. You can however take the IP to your local diesel shop and have them test it and re-calibrate it as needed... Or you can possibly ship the I to Mel so he can have his IP guy go over it?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Why hassle with it and not go ahead and take it all off....it'd make it just that much easier to do what you want to do. x2 on having it checked/recal'd....might as well do it while the truck is apart.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulling the heads is a big enough PITA. Making it any easier on yourself will decrease the aggrivation a bit. Removing the IP with the injector lines as one piece is the way to go. And again, DON'T REMOVE THE IP TIMING GEAR COVER. Just unbolt the IP from it and pull it out.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to remove the IP because you have to remove the intake and the valley pan. Even if you were able to magically pull the table cloth out from under the dishes, you'd end up bending a lot of lines wrangling those heads out. Read the fuel injection servicing article in the tech articles section.