Bench testing glow plugs

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thinking back now...20 years ago when I first purchased my Truck (new), every season before winter I would take out all the GP's and hand test them. cookoo :D
Hold a GP in hand with a pair of Vice-Grips and touch a hot wire to the plug end then...I would count to 8-10. The ones that had a slow heat rise time were then replaces. You could definitely see some weak/slow GP's that way.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HammerDown, that seems like alot of work, LoL .... why not just use a test light to check for good glow in the light??? I do that now and works good...

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HammerDown, that seems like alot of work, LoL .... why not just use a test light to check for good glow in the light??? I do that now and works good...

These are some plugs that are out of engine. Checked with meter, all are good.:thumbsup:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I did the first few years of ownership I was new to Diesels and also had a bit of curiosity...since then I use the test light method>after I purchased a manual for it;Really

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAMMERDOWN: funny what we do when we don't know different... I remember jumping in a new endivour, and have some old guy come up and start laughing at me... "Son why you do it that way, Here try this" ends up saving me but load of time... LoL