Belts and water pump

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
v belt system, so alternator acted like belt was slipping charging low the other day and belt looks like trash, changed belt and I believe I probably over tightened it. Anyway water pump started leaking out weep hole yesterday and I'm gonna try loosening the belt up a little today and see if it stops. Since it started leaking does that mean it's on its way out or was it my belts being too tight? Only after belts did it leak. I'm hoping to at least make a 100 mile round trip this next weekend and won't have time to change pump between now and then with possible dyno pulls in the middle. I'm gonna carry a few gallons of water with me but usually the worst that happened is they just leak through I the weep hole right? Loosen radiator cap and run with no pressure down a flat stretch of highway if It start leaking worse?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really if it’s leaking it’s time to replace it. It’s kinda a bear on the v belt trucks as you got to take a lot of the other accessories off, since both side brackets attach to the water pump. It probably takes 4-5 hours with all the prep work, but I would let it set for 12 hours before filling it in order to let the rtv properly set up

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I maybe have lucked out for now because my heater hose thTs pretty old blew up on my way to work with no over heat so I think it may have been leaking down the size of the block and dripimg off the front of the block looking like my water pump went out so I'll be seeing after work tonight

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well if it is the water pump, it won't get better on it's own. It's because there is enough play in the bearing that the shaft moved far enough to cause the seal to leak.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get Permatex "the right stuff" One-minute-gasket. The stuff is amazing; no need to let it set up before running. Just slap it on, bolt in place fill and go.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah so it stopped leaking then started again after 100 mile trip yesterday. So it's water pump time tomorrow morning! Anything special I need to looks out for or is it quick and easy change out?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me (I've changed mine 4 times sine new in 1988) the worst part for me, is draining the coolant, because my block drains have never been out. I Attach a hose to the radiator drain nipple into a catch container.
You'll need a really large open-end 1-7/8 wrench to get the Fan off (get a cheap one from Harbor Freight and you'll have to grind it a little thinner) and it's reverse thread and you'll want to loosen the nut before you fully remove the belts. Just tap the end of the long wrench with a heavy hammer and the Nut should break-free.
The replacement water pump 'may' have two shorter top bolts, if not take note of yours and make sure u use them so the you don't accidentally run a longer bolts into the metal cover behind the water pump.
I've always used Hi-Tack on the gasket with excellent results.
All in all it's an easy job, just some steps to follow.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be misremembering, but don’t forget thread sealant on the bolts, right??
Some of the bolts. And make sure that the two short bolts are in the correct holes. If you put long bolts in they will hit the timing gears.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got new water pump, use the gasket that came with it or just use the right stuff? the gasket that came with it looks cheap and looks to have been folded. Will the right stuff work on the threads that need to be sealed? Water pump also came with new shorter bolts that shows were to put them instead of old long ones. And can water pump be removed with fan still in place?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fan is attached to the water pump, and I don't think you can get the water pump bolts off without the fan blocking them. When I did my pump, I used gray RTV on the top 2 and bottom 2 bolts, I used the gasket it came with and put Aviation Form-A-Gasket on both sides of the included gasket.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually put a thin coat of rtv on both sides of the gasket. My goop of choice is permatex ultra black. I use it on about everything.