Began the 6.9 upgrade

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after November being the most interruption prone, inefficient, annoying month of 2015 for me I finally got back to the 6.9. Quick question about valve seals: The old valve seals had a double seal on the intake side. Basically, the small little exhaust seal was under the meaty rubber one, so technically 16 pieces for the intake side. The new kit i have only has the thick meaty rubber seal for the intake side for a total of 8. It's this acceptable? Was this a design upgrade? If I get these valve seals done tomorrow I can finally get the heads back on : )

Ok, two questions. I forgot. Tightening the nuts on the studs. The ARP instructions say due to their super installation lube, no tighten loosen tighten loosen procedure is necessary. Just three equal increments up to 80 ft lbs. What is the general consensus on this? I have searched the forums high and low and I read so many different things I have no idea what to do and am genuinely mentally defeated. Thanks,

OI82

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after November being the most interruption prone, inefficient, annoying month of 2015 for me I finally got back to the 6.9. Quick question about valve seals: The old valve seals had a double seal on the intake side. Basically, the small little exhaust seal was under the meaty rubber one, so technically 16 pieces for the intake side. The new kit i have only has the thick meaty rubber seal for the intake side for a total of 8. It's this acceptable? Was this a design upgrade? If I get these valve seals done tomorrow I can finally get the heads back on : )

Ok, two questions. I forgot. Tightening the nuts on the studs. The ARP instructions say due to their super installation lube, no tighten loosen tighten loosen procedure is necessary. Just three equal increments up to 80 ft lbs. What is the general consensus on this? I have searched the forums high and low and I read so many different things I have no idea what to do and am genuinely mentally defeated. Thanks,

OI82

I would follow ARP's instructions when installing and torquing their head studs. I followed their recommendations with my engine and everything is working great so far.
I would also use a bottom tap and clean out all of the cylinder bolt threads (in block) prior to installing the studs.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not saying I do or don't recommend it, but many over torque with good results.
Again, not saying it's a suggestion, just something I've seen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the instructions that came with my gasket set. I torqued my head studs to 80 ft-lb per ARP instructions. I didn't loosen and tighten. Using the ultra torque lube I believe a greater clamping force is achieved than stock head bolts. I didn't over torque. I know some folks do that, but I don't feel more qualified than the engineers who designed these engines and fasteners.

Attachments

• Image (31).jpg
    Image (31).jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Image (32).jpg
    Image (32).jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 21

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Hello all. I made a deal for the 85 6.9 I got the Roto-Master first gen Banks turbo off of last year. I heard this run. I know it had a head gasket failure as can be seen in the one picture at cylinder 8. First I have to comment how much more burly this puppy is compared to the ******* block predecessor. So glad I got this. Besides the outside ribs, you can stick your pinky finger in the water passages around the cylinders and notice there is barely any drop off in thickness. The 83 6.9, WOW does that thin out.

My question tonight is the condition of the cracked piston in #8 cylinder. I don't know if the gasket failure had any hand in this. Is this permissable, or a flaw that must be dealt with immediately? It's hard to see, but I tried to put it dead center of the pic. I checked the pistons in the 83 6.9 to see if I could steal one but the combustion chamber/flash chamber ( insert proper term here ) is way smaller. Almost a half inch skinnier and much shallower. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the really early 6.9's come with the highest compression, and are these pistons the cause?

Oh yeah, thanks to the failure of the oil cooler this purchase came with two gallons of IDI grey paint [emoji15] [emoji1]

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk